• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

APA takes a stand: no xray, no public pat down

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ALPA can suck it. Worthless and a total waste of my money. I'm actually exploring how to opt out of ALPA. I'd rather my money went to a charity or some entity that won't waste it like ALPA does.

There is no way to do so. You will still pay for services rendered that will be a sum equal to or nearly so what you would normally pay in dues. The only result will be a lack of ability to participate in elections and you will lose all representation and other services. It ain't a good answer, but it is accurate.

Largest union on board.

Where's ALPA? Put out the word! Don't go through the machine--and request the pat-down in private.

Steve Watson
Infowars.com
November 8, 2010

The largest independent union of airline pilots in the world is urging its members to boycott body imaging machines currently being rolled out in airports all over the globe, citing dangers of excessive exposure to harmful levels of radiation during the screening process.

http://www.infowars.com/worlds-pilo...canners-over-radiation-danger-privacy-breach/

Being a private pilot, I am confused as to the threat that the TSA thinks a pilot flying a plane with passengers poses to the safety of those passengers. Are they worried that an aircrew member will carry something onto the plane that can be used to overpower the other flight crew members such as box cutters, mace or tasers? Or are they worried that somebody posing as a flight crew member will bring box cutters on board an aircraft?

Ya got me! The whole thing is a friggin' joke. I refuse to go through the new backscatter machines. TSA gives me an early morning rubdown. They take my nail clippers away. I then go to the airplane and sit down and prep everything and look for the required cockpit items that includes a CRASH AXE! OMG - I could quickly kill, maime, and dismember humans with the thing. Now, imagine if I showed up at TSA security with an axe in my bag. They would probably have me ushered out in handcuffs. It's all a very warped system they have.

Being a private pilot, I am confused as to the threat that the TSA thinks a pilot flying a plane with passengers poses to the safety of those passengers. Are they worried that an aircrew member will carry something onto the plane that can be used to overpower the other flight crew members such as box cutters, mace or tasers? Or are they worried that somebody posing as a flight crew member will bring box cutters on board an aircraft?

The TSA has been happy to provide other means for pilots, but the airlines don't want to pay for it.

Last edited:
More APA bravado, chest thumping and insolence... all bark no bite..... and you guys fall for it....everytime...

The APA has no game in DC. Recall the ALPA pilots picketed the TSA and got the Administrator out into the rain to discuss the issue....

ALPA has been working on crewpass... and it is in the operational test phase... What is the APA doing? Anyone can talk tough in a press release.....

Like alpo has done anything, they could have made a statement like the APA, but no they are too in bed with the TSA.

Alpo should of came out with the statement first, there is no reason not to.

Are they worried that an aircrew member will carry something onto the plane that can be used to overpower the other flight crew members...

Give me a Qdoba breakfast burrito and two hours -- I'll definitely be able to overpower the other crewmember. :laugh:

Alpo should of came out with the statement first, there is no reason not to.
They did, and here it is. It basically says CrewPass was developed, tested, and approved. And now it will sit on the shelf for lack of funds. They are "looking to the future" rather than take care of the pilots it represents now.

October 22, 2010 - The Air Line Pilots Association Int’l. (ALPA) fully supports effective airline passenger security screening. In fact, ALPA played a key role in influencing the federal government to mandate passenger screening in the early 1970s.

Recently, the use of Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) as a security screening tool has raised privacy and other concerns in North America and around the world. ALPA acknowledges the reservations and concerns that some have expressed about the use of AIT. Countering these issues, however, is the fact that AIT can provide a significantly greater level of security than do walk-through metal detectors to keep improvised explosive devices and other threat objects off of airline aircraft.

Looking to the future, ALPA is advocating for the development of a trust-based security system that will focus on determining whether an individual possesses hostile intent using threat-object detection technology as a supplement to the screening process. Once implemented, this system will help reduce the need for use of invasive screening methods for the vast majority of the traveling public.

Responding to a Congressional mandate, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has already endorsed one component of a threat-based security system by approving implementation of the ALPA-conceived Crew Personnel Advanced Screening System (CrewPASS). CrewPASS, a dedicated security screening process for flight crewmembers, validates the identity and confirms the employment status of crewmembers in real time. ALPA has obtained the required approval from TSA for nationwide CrewPASS implementation; the Association is urging each carrier to make this system available for use of their flight crewmembers.

http://www.alpa.org/Portals/Alpa/Pre...g_10-22-10.htm

Last edited:
They will not let us through with a leatherman tool because it could be used as dangerous weapon. However all of our cockpits have a item that could do way more harm to another person than a utility tool. Here is another anecdote of the stupidity: There was an FFDO who had just purchased coffee. The TSA agent asked him to throw it away while he was signing in as an FFDO. Finally, when the supervisor got involved and put a muzzle on the dip$hit agent the pilot, with his gun, and coffee went to work.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back