APA Proposal to AMR Released

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
point

Ask yourself if you were the CEO for AMR and you had a long term labor contract with Eagle, had an assortment of other carriers that you can utilize in short term situations without any long term burden, were considering selling all or parts of Eagle, want to maximize your cash flow when we come out of the recession,

I would want this deal, I don't think so.

American pilots had the opportunity to sign a deal that mirrored UAL for the most part and refused it. The new deal that they will get will look nothing like that one.

Re: point

Publishers said:

American pilots had the opportunity to sign a deal that mirrored UAL for the most part and refused it. The new deal that they will get will look nothing like that one.

So when did we have this deal? I must have been asleep for that TA vote.

Ask yourself if you were the CEO for AMR and you had a long term labor contract with Eagle, had an assortment of other carriers that you can utilize in short term situations without any long term burden, were considering selling all or parts of Eagle, want to maximize your cash flow when we come out of the recession....

Ask yourself if you were the CEO for AMR and had a huge portion of your wealth and compensation wrapped up in company stock, and you are hearing from your bankers that you need at least some labor peace in order to borrow cash against the airplanes you own that are rapidly declining in value because a few of the girls in your CEO club are about to liquidate theirs for pennies on the dollar. And imagine you are sitting across from an arbitrator that has already ruled against you once regarding your scope-ducking shenannigans and you may just lose the use of the bottom-feeder companies you've been using to abrogate the intent and the language of said scope clause. And imagine that you know that if you do lose, your "RJ world-domination plan" will be even further behind Delta's and their 49% domestic ASMs at DCI. Combine all this with an ego that won't fit into the Cotton Bowl (which doesn't have a roof) and the worry that the very real possibility of bankruptcy is looming over your portfolio and your "legacy"--the same legacy that bought tons of TWA capacity and debt at a time when even my mailman knew the airline market was getting very, very soft--and that you stand to become the *second* Carty brother to auger in an airline....and you *might* be willing to look and see what the pilots have come up with. Again, I don't know if they are serious about it, but they are at least politely listening instead of rejecting the concept with zero discussion like they did about a year ago.

Ummm, okay. If you are talking about the company opener in August of 2001, you are way off. Otherwise, I don't know what you are talking about. As a matter of fact, I think neither of us knows what you are talking about! :D

AMR

If you think this is how these guys think, good luck to you. AMR went to the APA and offered to do a contract very similar to UAL. That concept was rejected.

This is a subject that my American pilot friends talk about on the golf course all the time. They acknowlege that rejection looks pretty stupid as a hindsight event.

Sorry you get so worked up over this. In the end, who is right will be evident.

Publishers - once again you are blabbing about stuff wich you obviously don't have a freakin' clue about and as usual, you continue to look like an idiot. You are obviously an amateur and you need to keep you conversations with your "buddies" on the golf course to yourself because you are a dork and no one wants to listen to your crap! So shut the hell up unless you can contribute something meaningful to the thread. And have a nice day.

Golly! I didn't know I was worked up. Maybe I should relax and spend some time out on the links with my AA pilot buddies who also have no idea what you are talking about! Let's see...four of us, plus you...that makes at least five people who have no idea what you are talking about.

Again, if you are talking about the opener in August of 2001, when Jeff Brundage tried to talk us into volunteering for "Baseball-Style Arbitration" in exchange for DAL +1% and no other details on scope or work rules, you are still way off. If you are talking about the post-sickout contract extension TA that was rejected, that didn't resemble UAL's contract either. Way, way off.

If you think this is how these guys think, good luck to you.

If you think CEO's don't make "business" decisions with an eye toward their own stock holdings, you haven't been watching the news in the past year or so.

In the end, who is right will be evident.

For the record, I haven't claimed to be right. I am neither optimistic nor pessimistic about APA's chances for getting the carriers combined. In fact, my lack of confidence in AMR's motives is what compelled you to chime in with your opinion (which was stated as fact)

This thread has crept far away from it's original subject, and I get to go fly for the next few days, so I'll let someone else wrap up Publisher and put him under the tree.

Merry Christmas to all...

Lets hope for the best and expect the worse! I hope santa leaves good news under the tree this year! We sure could use some! HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!!!

Maybe everyone should wait until the negotiators iron out something that they think is presentable to both groups, then make judgements. Getting the blood up this early isn't useful. I think an agreement is possible between AA and AE pilots, but getting AMR on board is the hard part.

"Some AA pilots with whom I have exchanged comments tell me that 85% of the Eagle pilots support this proposal."

Given the early stage of the negotiations, I doubt if even 50% of AE pilots even know any details of anything, much less voice support for it. I dare say that a vast majority support the concept of integrating the pilots groups . . . . but then the devil is always in the details. They need to negotiate with their own self-interests at heart, just as the APA will.

Last edited:
3holer

Once again someone has raised the intelligence quotia of this fine board.

Your right, the 30 years I have spent in aviation give me no voice in this when faced with the logic and presentation of professionals like you who resort to name calling and tell people to get off the board if they do not agree.

If I was wrong and it was DAL +1% and not UAL, I apologize. Nevertheless, there were offers that look good in hindsight.

Yes I think CEO's pay attention to the stock price. In fact, I can't think of any CEO of a public company that does not as that is what the shareholders pay him for.

It is sort of like a pilot. The passengers usually come out all right if the pilot and the aircraft come out all right. The pilot takes care of himself and his aircraft.

It is amazing how quick the employees of US saw the light and approved massive changes when faced with leadership that could not care less if the airline existed or was liquidated.

My position is that this proposal and anything like it is dead on arrival.

Latest resources

Back