Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HMR

I Live by the River.
I just got offered a job flying a 421 for a local company. The plane is in great shape and well equipped. Problem is, I don't know a thing about geared engines. I hear they're a maintenance nightmare but fly great when they work. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. I don't want to be grounded all the time for maintenance.

You might try AOPA, they have a lot of info. about a lot of things. I just flew 414's and 402's so I don't have any time with a geared engine. However, I was always told that you treat it like most other turbo charged engines and avoid ham-fisting them EVER. A guy I used to fly with that had several thousand hours in 421's said he always made it to TBO because he never brought the throttles below 20'' until crossing the numbers. I know FSI offers training for 400 srs Cessna's in Dallas (I think) Have fun

As the above poster stated they run fine. Just need to go easy on add and reducing power. Keep the MP up until right over the numbers and a good eye on the CHTs. Inside they are quiet and very roomy.

Don't know if you'll be flying a B or a C model, even an A for that matter. The As and Bs fuel system can leave you scratching your head at times, while the C was nice and simple. All were fairly stable and pretty staright forward, just the low flap and gear speed on the earlier models could give you headaches and require plenty of planning ahead.

I got about 400 hours when iI flew charter in them up until May of this year...everything people have said about taking it easy on power control movements are right on...little movements make big changes...you also want to be sure if it's cold out, to properly let the engines warm up because the turbos will compressor stall...you'll love the trailing-link landing gear because they make landings a whole lot smoother...any other specific questions, lemme know...

Hey Skywalker

You had trail linking gear, lucky bum. Only ones I ever flew were staright legged beasts. Had to really earn a good landing on those, forget about greasers. Can always tell if a plane is tough to land if they add trailing link to it later in life, especially after only a year on the C models. Fly safe

Just treat em with love and tenderness. They are a little fussy but plan your descents and watch the overboost .

Plan your descent for no more than 1000 fpm and reduce your power no more than an inch every minute. This will keep you from having to replace cylinders all of the time. This method becomes extremely difficult when operating into/out of busy airports because the controllers thimk that you can jerk the power all around, try to work with them the best you can. I have P-Navajo and 421 exp, both geared.

Plan your descent for no more than 1000 fpm and reduce your power no more than an inch every minute. This will keep you from having to replace cylinders all of the time. This method becomes extremely difficult when operating into/out of busy airports because the controllers thimk that you can jerk the power all around, try to work with them the best you can. I have P-Navajo and 421 exp, both geared. Also try to get your boss to send you to school, less expensive than blowing a motor trying to practice single engine work.

What a great airplane, I have ohhhhhhhhhhh 600 hours or so. Got the engines to TBO. PM if you want any information. I think the key is having the right mechanic set the engines up. Also I agree with some of the comments on operating the airplane. I think Simcom/Pan Am is the place to go for insurance training.

Its a great bird, have fun.

Humble

Yeah, trailing link gear is real nice...although it does spoil you if you make even the slightest thud...I flew 310's at the same time and made it hard for me to make greasers in those...

Latest resources

Back