Anyone use a sight level?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rumpletumbler

I was reading a Richard Collins article the other day in which he was giving himself another pat on the back for punching through a hole in another squall line etc. and he spoke of a sight level of being a nice tool to have. I thought it might be a cool tool to have available but wondered if I would ever actually use it. I haven't used one yet so I guess it isn't mandatory. However, I wanted your opinion. I'm sure Dick is a good pilot or he wouldn't still be alive after going through at least one weather system a month for 40 years or so that had everyone else on the ground.

RT

I use a weather radar

And by the way if you think that cruising over a thunderstorm that tops out at 390 while you are 410 is safe you havent seen how big a hole the hail that shoots out the top can make in the tin cans we fly. Scary **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**

I say throw the sight level in the trash and go around. Bette than to have to explain to the chief pilot how all the paint came off

That being said where can you really learn about weather radar? Everyone I've EVER flown with acts like they really don't understand it and sometimes talk about attenuation while steering right towards the spot they are talking about. They probably know more than they are letting on but don't transfer it to the SIC.

RT

Check out the articles by Archie Trammell on avweb.com they are short, but have some good info in them.
Trammell used to give presentations on wx radar, ask around and maybe someone will have one of his old course manuals. The one I have has a few accident reports relating to wx but also is full of real good info on how to use the radar in a smart manner.

Good Luck, let me know if you can't find a copy of the book.

I would recommend a book called:

Airborne Weather Radar, a user's guide.

by James C. Barr

ISBN# 0-8138-1363-8

It's about 120 pages, full of good info. Obviously not manufacuter specific, but a great overview of the different technologies in use, their strengths, shortcomings and good rules of thumb for different types of radar equipment.

I think you'll enjoy it and find it very usefull and educational.

BTW, as for the sight level. That discussion belongs in YGBSM section, under the dorky pilot thread.

Anyone who has one, probably has his sunglasses and his portable transceiver hanging from his belt.

More than likely he also has a fuel tester in his breast pocket, a pen with a tip that lights up when you push down on it, a mini Mag-Lite adapter for his DC head clamps.

If you look in his flight bag, which probably says "Sporty's Pilot Shop" on the side, you will also find, a traffic pattern entry computer, a hold entry computer wheel, a battery powered kneeboard, personal PBE smoke hood, and a bright red porta John (with the Lady J adapter).

If you have trouble spotting this dork, go look in your local FBO some day when it is 2000 over cast and 6 miles in mist. He's the one sitting on the couch reading AOPA pilot waiting for the "hard IFR" to lift so he can go "shoot" some touch and goes.:rolleyes:

MetroSheriff said:
...probably has his sunglasses and his portable transceiver hanging from his belt. More than likely he also has a fuel tester in his breast pocket, a pen with a tip that lights up when you push down on it, a mini Mag-Lite adapter for his DC head clamps.
If he flies for an airline, he wears his hat in the cockpit, in the crew lounge, and driving home from work.

He may also have a "Mile High" pin on. And a wristwatch with more dials than a DC-7.

rumpletumbler said:
So are you saying that Richard is a dick?

My dad met several celebrities--and pseudo-celebrities--during his flying career. Leonard Nimoy and Charles Bronson were among the friendliest.

Carl Sagan and Richard Collins were jackasses.

So I guess Dick is a...well, you know.

Latest resources

Back