Anyone tried new telex or lightspd ANR?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fr8DoggyStyle

Has anyone bought and flown with the new telex stratus or lightspeed 3g headset? I need a new headset to replace my trusty DCs.

The telex stratus seemed impressive to me- i got to try them out at the air races in reno at their booth. They had this sort of speaker-noise-generator-thingy-doo-hickey that was supposed to simulate aircraft noise. They had you put the headset on and then turn the ANR on and off. I liked them but would like some real life feedback from the trenches.

Thanks

Here's the scoop....

The lightspeed's are great and can be had for about $400 for the 25XL, and a bit more for the 3G. I have a student that just bought a 25XL. They broke in two weeks but.... Lightspeed replaced them for free with no problem. I don’t think they are as well built as the Telex stratus 50-d. A big plus, Lightspeed did ship a new headset to my student before he shipped the broken one back. I was impressed with that.

I ended up buying the Telex Stratus 50-D. It was $730.00 total from marvgolden.com and I sent in a form for a $125.00 rebate (available only to CFIs.) I haven't gotten my rebate check yet, but it hasn't been six weeks either. My headset broke as well after 4 weeks, I just mailed it back to Telex to have it fixed under warranty. I plugged the headset into the cigarette adapter and afterwards, it was never the same. And yes I checked the manual first and anything between 10 and 30 something volts was supposed to be ok. In any case it’s a free fix and I’ll just use batteries from now on.

In comparing the two side by side in a flight in a Piper Archer…

The Telex is a better headset and it’s noticeably quieter. In fact, I have to turn the ANR off in a twin to sync the props. I was truly amazed. The Telex also works well as a passive headset so if the batteries die or the ANR dies (as was the case for my set) the headset still works well.

I would say if you are a CFI and you fly a lot get the Telex because with the rebate (see www.telex.com) it is not much more. The web site says you have to be a NAFI member but this was not the case when I called to check. If you are not a CFI and do not fly hours a day the lightspeed is probably a better deal as it is a heck of a good headset as well.

If you just want the quietest headset available go with the Telex Stratus 50-D.

Thanks Larry,

Does the telex seem like pretty good construction quality to you? I have heard some negative things about the lightspeeds coming apart and DCs always seem to last.

The construction quality of the Telex is definitely better. The power pack on the cord is bigger and takes 4 as opposed to 2 AA batteries. The cord is also very long which can be annoying at your feet.

I have the Lightspeed 20XL and I think they are great. Third headset I have owned and the first that doesn't drive me nuts. I had the regular metal band headset when I started training and the pressure required to get a good seal always gave me a headache. The 20XL has good padding, I like the noise canceling, and it doesn't get too uncomfortable. It has a pretty low clamping pressure which is good when you have a big head like me. The only problem is that over a year and a half the padding is starting to lose it's covering, although I fly a lot and I am not overly careful with them. I am going to try and get a trade in on their new headset, maybe they will bargain with me. I have basically just been waiting to hear if they are any good or not. So I recommend Lightspeed in general although I have no experience with the newest model.

I'd say you can expect about 10 hours of flight with the batteries. It has an auto shutoff if you leave it on.

Not to interrupt the Telex love-in or anything, but I've used the same pair of DClark 10-13.4's for 9-plus years. They have over 3800 hours on them and have been drop-kicked across the ramp a dozen times. I do recall one occassion where I couldn't seem to make them work and a mechanic told me he was sure I had a broken headset. I almost believed him when it turned out the intercom system he'd just fixed had gone un-fixed once again. The only thing ever replaced on this headset has been the mic-muff (4 times). The XL version (ENC) of this set is the next I intend to get, even though DC's look has never really changed.

Go with industry standard. It'll pay off in the long run. That's my best bet.

Any others have nothing but praise they can share?

Good Luck either way!

Well, you have a good point ClassG. I have no idea how many hours my DC's have on them, they were old when i got them years ago for free. I really cant fault them, recently the right ear started cutting out from a wire broken internally but they have led a long, hard life.

How long does the battery last in those DC ENC headsets? The 9v version that is.

I love my Lightspeed 20XL!!!! The batteries usually last around 50 hours. A friend of mine broke the ear piece on them. Lightspeed customer service offered to send me the piece to fix it or they would fix it. Everything they do is free of charge, fast, and efficient. Great company!

Latest resources

Back