Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone start flying in the US then get a job in Australia?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I tried, and have a parent living down there, and without the right to work, I got a thanks, but go foque yourself from Qantas.

Mookie said:
I tried, and have a parent living down there, and without the right to work, I got a thanks, but go foque yourself from Qantas.

Did you have the certs that they want? Or did you just try to apply with the US stuff?
My wife is from there so resident status won't be a problem for me.

Maybe the America West pilots that Scabbed at ANSETT could help you.....................

Just look them up on the ALPA Master Scab List

Australia is a very competitive pilot market. A lot of that has to do with the shake out from the " dispute ". Even more because Ansett folded after 9-11 putting a lot of guys on the street. With only one real major and one LCC the options there are pretty slim.

To quote an acquintance of mine on transferring licenses, " it is one of the hardest things I have ever done ".

If you have the right to live in Australia, the better avenue might be to get a job with Cathay and then get an Australia basing.

Typhoonpilot

73belair...Why would you bother???

The choices are Qantas - and they only seem to look at 500-1000hr pilots with the craziest psych test you have ever seen, and you have to pay for the right to sit the test. Then you can be an S/O for anywhere upto 8 or 9 years.

Jetstar - The LCC of Qantas...Capts salary is now $132,000- which INCLUDES a $7,000- retention bonus for staying. You have to pay for your A320 endorsement...about $30,000- oz

Virgin Blue - Another LCC...dont know the exact salary is but a little better than Jetstar. Also have to pay for your 737 endorsement, but they do pay a bit of it back over time.

The Qantas regionals now do the same psych test, and you have to pay for the endorsement on the Dash8.

I have heard that a few regional turboprop jobs are up for grabs.

The other problem is, you pay 48.5cents in the dollar to the tax man soon as you earn over $62,000-.

With conditions getting so bad down there, alot of guys are looking at heading o/s to make a decent living and not have the tax man probing your a*** for every cent they can find.

Anyway, they are a few of the reasons I moved out of there and I had my command on the 717!

Well the move was well worth it...I love Hong Kong...Typhoon pilot summed it up in one, go Cathay cargo and if you dont mind paying 48.5cents in the dollar to the tax man then get an oz basing.

Try Crew Leasing

I would recommend doing a contract job instead of working in Australia. You can make a lot more money commuting to Australia than working there. Try HACS, Park, Rishworth, etc. Lots of jobs in asia for ICAO pilots and the commute is only about four hours to Australia.

Good luck,

BBB

Well my wife is from there and she'd love to get back there. I really liked the time I had when I was there (about 6 month). So getting a job there would be the best of both worlds.

Just trying to get info

Latest resources

Back