Anyone know of any sic lowtimer jobs?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lancair1

Does anyone know of an operator possibly looking for a low time sic willing to work for near nothing?

Thanks!

When you do the online app.......

These are the important things to bear in mind:

1) Recency of experience; they want it.

2) CFI experience, preferably II and MEI. Same as above.

3) Other important items are typical to almost any aviation hiring process.

This is directly from Bob to my ears.

Bob told me that they are currently picking up baron sic's in the 1000 hour range. I went into a two day depression after hearing that. Especially after I found that only a few years ago the 300 hour mark was common.

I keep optimistically thinking that their must be some small operator out there that would love the idea of getting a low paid, low time "intern" that they could eventually place into the left seat.

Wishfull thinking huh?

No harm in wishing.

Bob is picking up pilots who would have gone to a regional during the hiring frenzy. It may be some time before hiring reaches that level again. It's a great time to continue learning and teaching (more learning) and making yourself ready for your next opportunity.

On a personal note, when I was out of instructing for three months, Bob's computer passed me by for an interview. That's why number one (above) is so important. I had over 1,000 then, and over 500 dual given.

Don't give up.

Be careful, your edging over to the dark side. :)

Why not instruct? I take it you don't have airnets mins, so if you have 200-700 hours you need to instruct. Plus, your getting PIC not sic.

Even if you are closer to the 200 hour mark, you might only need to instruct for a year to get closer if not to airnet's mins depending on where you live and how hard you want to work.

I won't complain if instructing is my only option, but I'm still wishing for any other job. SIC in a twin or pic in a 152, or both concurrently. I'm up for nearly anything. I'm still looking for that perfect pipeline job, but they seem hard to come by.

Yeah, I know what you mean, I am still waiting for Bill Gates to hand over the company to me.

Go get you instructors rating if you haven't already and get experience,currency, pic, the all mightly log book hours, and a little pay to boot.

Then, keep looking for that sic twin (if thats what you want) and you will be ready when one pops up.

Good luck.

Welcome BACK to reality...

lancair1 said:
Bob told me that they are currently picking up baron sic's in the 1000 hour range. I went into a two day depression after hearing that. Especially after I found that only a few years ago the 300 hour mark was common.

Wishfull thinking huh?

Welcome BACK to reality...

Back in the early 90's it was taking 2,500 TT and 500 Multi to even meet the MINIMUMS of almost all the Commuter airlines... and if you did get hired (usually took over 3,000 hours and closer to 1,000 multi) you flew in the right seat of a Beech 1900 (can you say King Air?).. but not until after you coughed up $10,000 for that SIC training you had to pay for out of your own pocket.... and for all this the starting pay was between $9,000-$14,000 per year... Upgrade times were 3-4 years if not longer (American Eagle was closer to 7 years for upgrade)

What you have witnessed the past few years (500 hour F/O's on RJ's) was the exception and not the rule... You are going to see hiring minimums continue to increase as there are more and more pilots available... This was all starting to happen even before 9/11.... 9/11 just made things happen faster....

Good Luck and fly safe!

"To instruct - or not to instruct"

Apologies to Shakespeare.

While I see no need to get into a long debate on this subject, why don't you at least consider instructing? It is real work that pays (sort of) real money, it is recognized work in the industry, and it is better than SIC because it is PIC. Moreover, as long you keep up your CFI you will have a credential that will get you work.

Circumstances might be different if times were flush, but they're not. You need hours and instructing will get it for you.

Just some food for thought.

PS-Falcon Capt., above, speaketh the truth about hiring mins twelve years ago and P-F-T.

Latest resources

Back