Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone Know anything bout TriCoastal Air, Inc.?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyinloki

R.I.P. Dan and Terry
Got contacted by TriCoastal Air this afternoon and was wondering if anyone had any info on them. Pay, benefits, scheduled runs, who they are contracted to, that kinda stuff. Thanks in advance for any info.

Used to be Grand Aire, they changed their name after some negative publicity crashing two falcons in the same day.

do a search under Grand Aire and Tri Coastal, there has ben lots of into posted in the last year. I know their pilots are looking for other jobs.

That bad?? I found out about the two falcons when I talked to em today. Supposedly they were both pilot error, the first one that went down didn't turn on their anti-ice or something during touch and gos and they flamed out perhaps and the second one which i remember in St. Louis they ran out of fuel and decided not to declare an emergency and got put into a hold. And their owner and CEO died last november in a honda jet crash which was mechanical but their maintenance dept. wasn't even the one that worked on it. Anyone have anything specific on why so negative other than the Falcons. Work rules bad, or FAA violations on aircraft and pilots stuff like that. Like to dig a little deeper perhaps. From what I hear the former owner and CEO's ex-wife is running the company now and she also ownes Air America based up in Canada. Thanks all again!

Last edited:
I looked around but can't find very much info with depth to it.

flyinloki said:
That bad?? I found out about the two falcons when I talked to em today. Supposedly they were both pilot error, the first one that went down didn't turn on their anti-ice or something during touch and gos and they flamed out perhaps and the second one which i remember in St. Louis they ran out of fuel and decided not to declare an emergency and got put into a hold. And their owner and CEO died last november in a honda jet crash which was mechanical but their maintenance dept. wasn't even the one that worked on it. Anyone have anything specific on why so negative other than the Falcons. Work rules bad, or FAA violations on aircraft and pilots stuff like that. Like to dig a little deeper perhaps. From what I hear the former owner and CEO's ex-wife is running the company now and she also ownes Air America based up in Canada. Thanks all again!

You should actually look up the NTSB reports and read them. Why did the crew in STL not plan a fuel stop? Could be the company put pressure on them to do it nonstop. The company is always going to push it as pilot error. As far as Tahir's crash at SUS, the plane sat for over 6 months and they didn't even sump the tanks. They didn't call maint out until they attempted to t/o and the a/s indicators didn't work out. One more abort later, they attempted to takeoff. I have personally flown with Tahir and he would go at any cost, and expected his pilots to do the same. Things may be different now, but I doubt it, business has dropped dramatically and the planes don't fly that often. Plus the FAA is all over them, so if you want every action and all your paperwork scrutinized, go for it. As I said, things may be different now, but I doubt it. You've been warned.

Hmmmm. Yah when I talked to the HR lady she said that plane had been sitting for something like 8 months. I'm supposed to talk to the Chief Pilot in the morning and I think I may bring this reputation and FAA stuff up to him even if it threatens a chance of getting hired. I saw on their websites alot of openings for pilots when they only have 8 aircraft now so that may be a red flag right there. Some single pilot Metro time would be good as long as its safe mechanically and if they are pushin to fly in any weather or if there was maintenace issue I would probably just have to say i ain't goin. Its better to risk your job than your life after all. We'll see how it all pans out I guess. Any other replies would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yah, I may have found what I needed. Google is God!

By ROD LOCKWOOD
BLADE STAFF WRITER

Grand Aire Express has lost four of its employees to fatal plane crashes since moving to Toledo Express Airport from Monroe Custer Airport in early 1999.

Three people were killed yesterday when one of the company's Dassault Falcon 20 cargo jets crashed in a heavily wooded area at Oak Openings Preserve Metropark on approach to Toledo Express Airport.

Hours later, another Grand Aire jet flying from Texas crashed in the Mississippi River just north of downtown St. Louis. Two people were rescued from the river; one was in critical condition and the other was in serious condition, authorities said.

The fatal crash in Swanton Township was the second fatal accident since July.

Mukesh K. Gupta, 25, was killed while attempting to land in heavy fog at Columbus, Ind., Municipal Airport about 3:45 a.m. on July 18. The twin engine Piper Aerostar PA-600 he was piloting crashed in a grassy area along the runway.

The cargo jet was hauling parts from Cleveland to Cummins Engine Co. in Columbus, 40 miles south of Indianapolis.

Grand Aire, which flies out of a $3.5 million facility at Toledo Express Airport, was formed in 1985 by Tahir Cheema, who is now company president. The company - which delivers auto parts and other cargo and runs a charter passenger operation and other services - had a 26-aircraft fleet until yesterday.

Although Grand Aire had no fatal incidents until last year's Indiana crash, the company has been involved in several crashes over the last several years, according to federal aviation safety and industry crash databases. The incidents include:

wOn June 16, 2000, a Grand Aire Falcon 20 carrying auto parts crashed while trying to make a third landing attempt at an airport in Peterborough, Ont.

The two-member crew had aborted two landing attempts - apparently because of bad weather - and went down in a muddy field. They walked away from the crash and were picked up by rescue workers.

wIn 1999, a two-man crew avoided injury when their plane landed on its belly and skidded off a Detroit City Airport runway into a cemetery.

wA company pilot overran a Tennessee runway in 1995 and collided with a concrete wall and trees, injuring the pilot.

wLater that year a two-man crew avoided injuries when their plane clipped trees during a training exercise near an airport in South Bend, Ind.

In addition to the crashes, Grand Aire spent 18 months between 2001 and 2002 embroiled in a legal battle with the Federal Aviation Administration over 12 alleged violations.

In the biggest case, the FAA claimed the company replaced an engine in a cargo plane in 1999 and flew it for six months without performing the required tests.

None of the violations resulted in crashes, but the company made a dozen flights with the replacement engine after the FAA notified it of the problem. The company countered that it did the tests but did not keep the proper paperwork.

Grand Aire came to Toledo from Monroe amid controversy in 1998 and 1999. Two other fixed-base operators at Toledo Express complained to the Toledo-Lucas County Port Authority that the firm would compete unfairly with them.

The issue centered on Grand Aire actively competing with the two existing businesses at the airport - Tol Aviation and National Flight Services - in fueling and fixing planes.

Some members of the Port Authority board argued that allowing Grand Aire to operate out of Toledo Express with state job tax credits as well as partial tax abatements on land was unfair to the other firms, both of which still operate out of the Toledo airport.

I think just the part saying they had 26 aircraft just 2 years ago got me and now they have only 8??! Yah somethings not right there. Oh well, thought I might have found a halfway decent company but thats sure not what it sounds like.

They are also looking for other employees including the DO and CP.

Latest resources

Back