Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone hear NY app yell at 888BW last night?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

apcooper

Dude, where's my country?
Was listening to Ny approach online last evening (can't remember which sector) and heard a PA-28 VFR at 7500 get yelled at for misunderstanding ATC. I was reading some threads here so I was not fully paying attention to what casued the mis-com but I seem to remember he descended on conflicting traffic below and the controller ate him for lunch! I've never heard ATC so freightned and angry.....in real time that is! A few minutes later he was asked to call XXX-XXXX after ldg and was handed off to 125.70.

Sure am glad that wasn't me! Did any of you Jet Blue guys hear that? There were a few on freq so I'll bet someone must have been startled by the exchange! If so, what happened, I assume it was a simple misunderstanding.

If you know what time it was, LiveATC keeps an archive of all their feeds.

Last edited:
I believe it was sometime between 7 and 8PM eastern on friday. I'll have to go through the archievs to find it. I'll let you know exactly what time if I can find it.

I found it! If you go to atclive.net and pull up the JFK app/dep archive for the 24th at 2000, you'll hear it about 2 minutes and 4 seconds into the tape.

ALso, if you go to this site, and pull up the archives for the same date and time, you can watch the radar tracks of it happening. Zoom out to 20 miles and watch for 888BW heading northeast south of the JFK; right in the departure path...you can see data blocks by clicking on the aircraft.

Some of the earlier tapes are evidence that the guy in 888BW is either a little inexperienced or overwhelmed. He was slow on the readbacks and had to have simple directions repeated.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back