• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone hear from Skywest?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well as a captain at a 121 airline I can tell you that I have flown with guys right out of flight instructing and freight dogs and other 121 carrier pilots. I can tell you that the bottom of the list for me to fly with is flight instructors. In general from what I have seen is the same attitude exhibited on this board. That attitude is "Hey look at me!! Look how great I am." The proper attitude to have in a 121 cockpit is "Hey, how much can we learn from each other today". Am I a bit leary of flying with a UAL furloughee? D@mn right! But I would much rather fly with them instead of a 1200 hour flight instructor because they know what it means to be professional! I am sorry, but most flight instructors I have flown with dont understand that yet. Yes they have to be given the chance to learn, but right now there are pilots out there looking for jobs that dont have to be taught that lesson. These are just facts of this industry! If you dont like them, find another industry.
Fly safe!

Skypine69,

I see your point, especially after seeing the attitudes of those writing some of these posts.

I for one was at the job fair last spring, and am still waiting for a call. I do, however, realize that SkyWest doesn't owe me anything. . . Hopefully at some point my qualifications will meet what would be considered "competetive".

I hope that your comment about instructors being at the bottom of your list was simply a generalization. Hopefully you've flown with at least a couple instructors who "get it" and you enjoied flying with.

Thanks for your input.

P.S.: I'm sure there are quite a few Garmin 430 / King KLN 94 savy flight instructors out there who wouldn't have a clue how to operate the CRJ's FMS, EFIS, and whatever else you've got in that bitchn' cockpit.

Last edited:
Skypine69

It sucks to be judged before you have had the chance to prove yourself. But the way this industry is you don't often get to prove yourself because the companies have to have some way to screen all the applications they get....Flight hours are a huge part of that

I don't have a problem not getting an interview. My opinion is that I showed a lot of effort going to the job fair and it would be nice to get one!

a furloughed airline pilot does not deserve my job instructing
just because they flew for an airline
and maybe I don't deserve a job at Skywest
just because I went to a job fair
but I would like the chance to prove it just like the furloughed or retired pilot who comes to work where I am at

As far as attitude goes
I think if
give off bad vibes you get em back and there seems to be a lot of resentment when an instructor beats out someone with 121
experience for a job. Human nature I guess during the hard times
People get really nasty...its really too bad

I'm just standing up for myself and others like me who do know quite a bit and feel that we have something to offer and want to join the ranks of the airline guys

Dog,

Yes you are correct, an airline pilot doesnt deserve a job instructing just because he is an airline pilot. You have to look at the bottom line here. A furloughed UAL pilot will most likely be more succesful at the interview. I dont know if you are aware of the time and energy it takes to interview someone but it is considerable. All Skywest is doing is taking a pool of applicants and saying "who among these pilot will do the best in an interview and then in training?" It does not take a brain surgeon to figure out that the guy with 5000 hours and a bunch of jet will **most likely** do better. If you cant admit that to yourself then I think we need to talk. Of course there are guys that will fail the interview and on the same day the flight instructor will do well. However, it is the exception rather than the rule. This is a fact.

Wasatch,
I dont generally ask a FO whom I have not flown with before what they did before coming to the airline. But after a couple of legs as I see some patterns I will ask and I am rarely suprised. There have been some excellent flight instructors as FOs. All I am saying is that in general, the new pilot here who was a flight instructor less than a year ago and now flying an RJ has some things to learn. I am happy to attempt to help them learn, but too many times they are not ready to learn. They will "get it" in due time, but they would have more fun sooner if they would open their mind and got past the CFI days quicker.
That is all.

Fly safe.

skypine69

I'm not arguing that a given airline Skywest or otherwise is not going to look at a pilot with 3 times more experience than me before me for an interview or that they don't have the right. So just so you understand where I'm coming from....

1) I recieved a letter that stated"you will be called for an interview" and I'm patiently waiting...just want my chance and so do a lot of other guys and gals who were told "you will be called for an interview" just want to be called!!

2) You are correct that the average a pilot with 121 experience (and I'm talking more than just passing training and getting furloughed) will more likely get called for an interview than me. Does not mean they will do better in all cases just like you stated. But those instructors who did do well on interview day should be respected for not blowing it when the pressure was on and studying so they would get hired...They did not get the job just because they were lucky they got it because they did better than the other guy even some with 121 experience.Airlines including Skywest have hired thousands of former instructors successfully...just a little respect is all I'm asking for :)

I'm sure if you are a captain that you have the experience and judgement to back up what you have observed. I have no problem with that but just hope to keep the "general statements" that all flight instructors don't have the maturity, or, good judgement to make great FOs" down to a minimum. Because just like you we had to start somewhere and are eager to move on! we are discouraged just like everyone else!

However I do appreciate your comments and any insight is always welcome. Hey that what we are here for. I do hope I'll get a chance to learn the tricks of the trade from guys like you someday and I promise to state my opinions to my captain in a constructive manner so there is a good working environment and keep my attitude in check!!! which is not always easy for someone who talks all day long for a living!!!!

I am a CFI swimming in the pool as well. I would love the opportunity to fly for skywest, But it's just business 101. If an applicant has already passed training and Ioe with another airline, chances are pretty good that they will succeed again.
Unfortunatly most industries don't like crap shoots and try for the safe bet... Good luck and they will get to us someday!!

Dog,

You probably will get interviewed. It just might take awhile longer than you or the company expected. Believe me when I tell you that the last thing they want to do is go put on job fairs and then not be able to use anyone that showed up. They would have been very happy to hire each and every one of you. But once again the supply has changed and the needs of Skywest changed (more newhires into the jet.)

I know and understand that everyone has to start somewhere. I am not against iinexperienced pilots sitting next to me, but when you are in that situation, open your mind and learn from the guy next to you. Yes, I am sure you will be able to teach him something, but there is no need to hurry and show you knowledge. your captain will be able to tell very quickly how much knowledge you have and will be appreciative of the fact that you have that knowledge. I hope this makes sense, what I am really trying to say is when you get hired, go out on line and enjoy yourself and be relaxed....it will be fun for the whole crew if you do that!

later

Let me insert my observation - and I stress that these are observations and nothing i have heard as policy here. It looks like the itnerview team is faced with a requirement to hire a good number of pilots who they think would succeed as CRJ newhires. They have gone through the complete stack of open house candidates and have interviewed all who they think would fill the bill. They still need more hence the call to the street. By the way, we have people sitting in a newhire class today who interviewed last week (would you believe last Friday?).

The average flight time for the latest newhire class is 3800TT with 2200 ME. The stats for the latest Brasilia class is closer to 1700 TT with 400 ME.

I still think that MOST of those that will be interviewed for Brasilia newhire classes will be coming from the open house pool of interviewees. If I had attended one of the March open houses and passed the writtens, I would still expect a call for an interview. That is more than most folks with similar qualifications could say of their expectations.

Hang in there. The wait is worth it.

Re: 2 cents

Pintarski said:

Sincerely,
A guy with plenty of turbine time who is waiting for class with Comair to fly the CRJ, but apparently not competative enough to interview with SkyWest right now.

Sour grapes won't get you far in this industry. At best they will make you a bitter old man at retirement.

Hang in there and keep on marching.

Andy,
Thanks for your response. The way things were sounding was that SkyWest had taken the people they wanted from the open house and were not planning on interviewing the rest. Thanks again for the update.

Latest resources

Back