Anyone Have Their Major Airline Decline Unemployment Benes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Skippy

had a friend in PA get claim denied b/c the unemployment office stated that united airlines only reports to CO and another state, so he got declined from his resident state of PA-- its a pretty big difference in money-- the unemployment claim worker stated that united does this b/c since they pay 80% of the claim, they usually choose the cheapest states.

is this true? is there some sort of misunderstanding
anyone run into this or having problems of their own?

I live in IN and trying to claim in IL b/c it's more money, but i cant get thru on the phone-- i called over 100 times today and busy every time-- there must be some unemployed mofo's out there.

gimmie my govmnt check and cheese please!

I was just discussing this exact thing with a fellow Co-worker yesterday. I live in Illinois and he lives in Indiana. He told me that the Indiana Unemployment system is broke. I am sure Illinois will be soon to follow.

had a friend in PA get claim denied b/c the unemployment office stated that united airlines only reports to CO and another state, so he got declined from his resident state of PA-- its a pretty big difference in money-- the unemployment claim worker stated that united does this b/c since they pay 80% of the claim, they usually choose the cheapest states.

is this true? is there some sort of misunderstanding
anyone run into this or having problems of their own?

I live in IN and trying to claim in IL b/c it's more money, but i cant get thru on the phone-- i called over 100 times today and busy every time-- there must be some unemployed mofo's out there.

gimmie my govmnt check and cheese please!

" I live in IN and trying to claim in IL b/c it's more money,"

~ I'm going to have to turn you in for that, there are handsome snitch rewards out there for abusing the system......

Just kidding, my soon to be unemployed friend!
As far as I know you really can't pick where you want the "bennies" to come from .. it comes from your state of residency. Thats the only state you can file in , unless you can show residency in another state (prior tax return, car registry ,taxes paid ,something like that).
Getting through on the phones is not easy because these offices are over whelmed every where from what I've heard. Go directly to an office, (earlier in the day is better, all wineos are still sleeping off the brown baggin) and you won't have to wait too long to ask questions and file the paper work. People watching in these joints is both sad and amusing at the same time....
You might have some luck repeatedly hitting the speed dial 10 minutes before the offices open......

Best of luck and I hope your furlough is shorter than mine!

No, it's not based on your State of residency.

It's based on the State where the company pays the unemployment tax to. Atlas is based in NY and pays into the NY system. I live in IN. I have to call NY to claim any unemployment if I am furloughed, as I was in 2004, and was paid by the State of NY.

I live in pa, when i first applied for benefits it was denied. Talked to the benifits office and they told me they were waiting for paperwork from my last employers. It took about 2 weeks until they figured it out, and have been getting paid since mid oct. GoodLuck

Same thing with me , my employer was dragging their feet. So I asked if I could send in paycheck stubs to prove I worked their and that I qualified for benefits. They accepted them and I started getting benefits imediately. It is based on the state your employer pays benefits to, plus depending on how long it has been yo may be able to claim benefits from the state your previous employer paid into. This gives you more choices and a nicer check.

You will NEVER get through on the phone in Illinois.

Go the following link and apply online:

http://www.ides.state.il.us/individual/faq1.asp

It takes about 15 minutes and is relatively painless/foolproof. If I remember correctly, it tells you when you hit the final "submit" button if you have been approved or not.

After that, sign up for Direct Deposit and you can be drinking Champagne and eating Filet Mignon with the rest of us.

For many years I was a fiscally responsible conservative Republican.

I now see the folly of my ways....

YKMKR

Last edited:
No, it's not based on your State of residency.

It's based on the State where the company pays the unemployment tax to. Atlas is based in NY and pays into the NY system. I live in IN. I have to call NY to claim any unemployment if I am furloughed, as I was in 2004, and was paid by the State of NY.

I guess your state does it differently from my state....
Maybe some states have lower overhead "passing the buck". That could be why you collect more in some than others... who knows.

check where you were based.
When My company ditched me. I had been Based in AZ, NY, and CA.
I called each state and chose to use Cali. It paid twice AZ. and a bit more than. NY.

However Cali was the base that was almost 2 years prior. But when I called, they asked for my ssn. Then viola the said I had money available. My Home state told me to pound sand because my employer never paid anything in unemployment insurance to them, only to my base states.
So shop around.

I stopped my cheese after I found work. so it might be a bit different but I don't think so. I was also told that I still had money left on my claim so if the gig I have now falls apart I can just make a call and start on the same claim where i left off.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back