Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone have any experience with HC-130s?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

HueyPilot

I'm getting close to having to submit my PW, and I can't decide what to do beyond Ramstein and AC-130s (my first two picks).

I heard they are standing up a new HC-130 squadron at D-M (79th RQS), and that all the rescue Herks are going to be handed to AFSOC. Since I wanted to fly for AFSOC anyways, and I love the Tucson area, I've been considering the HC-130, but honestly I don't know that much about the airplane or the community.

Anyone out there have any HC-130 experience (be it pilot, nav, FE or load, I don't care)? How many hours do those guys log a year, on average? What's the typical training sortie vs. operational mission sortie ratio? How long are missions and trainers? I know the Pave Hawks sit alert...what about the HC-130s? What's your opinion on TDY rates now that they are adding this new active duty squadron?

Any info is appreciated.

Im not an HC-130 pilot, but I did stay at a holiday inn last night...

But seriously, in 5 years of flying 130s I did not hear anything good about the HC-130/MC-130P. There deployment rate was near the highest in the AF, and while deployed they mostly just sat alert vs. flying. 2 months in PSAB and I only saw the HC-130 with engines running once... and it didnt go fly... just running them to make sure they still worked I guess. And when they came back from deployment they would have to fly their butts off to get all their requirements done. But I guess some of their missions can be rewarding (ala "The Perfect Storm")

Well, thats just what I've heard, FWIW. I volunteered for a tweet 'cause I was on the short list for a non-vol to an HC-130. The dude that got the non-vol was not happy.

Go slicks (not much different than special ops), ACs, Talons I/IIs...

Oh, but if you are thinking long term, realize it is very difficult to go from a non-airdrop MWS to an airdrop MWS. So if you do go ACs, you will most likely be stuck there, or go to ECs (yuk!).

Last edited:
go slicks

Stay away from rescue. I know a guy who walked away after 10 yrs with 1100 hours in rescue, that sucks. I'm no math genius but I think that's about 110 hours a year. Go slicks. You will get to see the world and probably get about 500 hrs a year. Rescue you will rot in the desert sitting alert and never fly.

GO SLICKS!

Better yet, put in for an exchange tour with the Coast Guard. Based out of Clearwater Florida you'll get 500+ hrs/yr and spend a 3-4 year tour bouncing around the Carribean doing SAR/drug patrols and trash hauling. Its not all gravy though, you will have to deal with those grueling 5-7 day deployments. I believe the current AF dude stationed there is due to rotate soon. Just a thought.

Fly Safe
ck130

HC-130s

I flew HC-130s in AFSOC 94/95/96. AFSOC changed the designator to MC-130P. I switched to the MC-130H Combat Talon II and flew that until I got out in 01. Some of what was said above is true, but a little is misconstrued.

The MC-130P, HC-130N/P and MC-130E have the helo refueling pods. Where the helos are required to sit alert for rescue or special missions, a tanker will be sitting alreat along side. I spent a lot of time sitting in Turkey on alert not to mention all the other requirements. The flying was fun, but I never got enough.

Fortunately I was selected for the MC-130H CT-II and was MUCH happier. The Talon-II does not yet have the refueling pods, but they are coming in the future and may already be operational. Although this enhances the mission of the CT-II, in my book (a pilot's opinion), it is not a good thing as now you are tied to the helos. That being said, the CT-II is very versatile and will have lots to do other than sit alert with helos. The CT-II also has a glass cockpit and has a kick ass air-conditioning system. Big plus in hot evironments!

But you asked specifically about the tankers... Rescue sits a LOT of alert. I never did rescue as I was born/bread AFSOC. AFSOC will give you a little more variety, but the helo tie is still there. Having to do it all over again, this is how I would rank my choices:

1. MC-130H
2. MC-130E
3. Slick
4. AC-130U
5. AC-130H
6. MC-130P
7. HC-130P/N (rescue)

That is just my opinion. I know there are guys very happy in all weapon systems. Good luck.

Goose17

Last edited:
More...

I thought about the CT-II, but when I talked to the spec ops -130 guy, he said if you get a Talon training slot, you don't know up front where you'll be going. I would love either Mildenhall or Hurlburt, but my wife said she's putting her foot down and Japan is out of the question. I'd personally love to go to Kadena, but let's be realistic...it's not worth the trouble!

I did hear they sat alert often in the HC units. I didn't necessarily have a problem with that, but if you sit alert but still fly a decent amount per year, I don't care. However, if you sit alert more than you fly...then I'm not so sure I want to do that. I had a friend of mine who was an eng on HC-130s at Moody, and he said since they were the only active unit, they constantly rotated into the AOR. The rumor mill now says this new active unit at DM will help a bit, but with the increase in ops tempo lately, I have a feeling instead of reducing the number of rotations to the current operations, the USAF will feel that they can keep the rotations the same and increase the number of operating locations.

You know how "they" (those in the five-sided puzzle palace) think sometimes...they should be thinking "instead of each pilot spending 180 days a year supporting 3 operating locations, they can now spend 100 days a year doing the same". But they are probably thinking "cool, now, with each pilot spending 180 days TDY, we can support an additional 2 operating locations".

Anyways, I'm still very split about what I want to do. AFSOC would be a good place to go, but I'm not 100% convinced I should go there my first Herk tour. Any advice on that issue? I've heard some tell me I should fly slicks first, some tell me I should avoid AFSOC altogether, and others tell me "go for it" and dive straight into AFSOC.

Another thing I want to bring up is the CV-22. Since eventually I'll have experience flying Herks, and my background prior to the C-21 is the Huey, I've been told I'm an "ideal" candidate to fly the Osprey. I think it would be interesting to fly it, but like they say, I don't want to fly the A-model of anything. I at least want to wait until someone else has crashed a few of them operationally and written some good notes, cautions and warnings. Then there's that pesky issue of currency within an aircraft category for the inevitable bid for the airlines...since the Osprey isn't an airplane, I'm sure the airlines won't be entirely impressed if I spent the previous 3 years or so flying a tiltrotor.

Thanks again.

a bit more info

HueyPilot,

I hope that PM helped a bit, but here is some more info...

As for going slicks first and then AFSOC... That used to be required, but it has been quite some time now. I finished UPT in summer of 93 and went straight into AFSOC. There were not many that did the direct route before me, but there has been MANY since. If that is what interests you and you might want to be there some day, cut to the chase and go there now. I really enjoyed AFSOC. You get to do some crazy stuff with some crazy toys. It is flying that I will never do again and I look back fondly at now that I am out. I recommend going there straight.

As for Kadena... My wife and I did it for 3 years. I heard many of the wives say they only wanted to go to Mildenhall from Hurlburt, but others said they would go to either. We definitely enjoyed Japan. Fun culture and nice people. We saw the Pacific! I went almost everywhere, and my wife did a ton of traveling too. If you like sun and water, go to Kadena, if you like overcast and rain, go to Mildenhall. The plus of England is the language and it is not an island. You are connected and can travel easier. Japan is a tropical island and travel is by plane (period).

I think one of the pluses of AFSOC is there is really no bad assignment. You have England, Japan, Florida, and the school house in New Mexico. No sucky places in my book.

Good luck in your decision.

Good to have options!

Goose17

Latest resources

Back