Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone got a debrief from the ABX crew meeting last night?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Or was it just what was in the press release rehashed and drowned in Kool Aid? :puke:

Starting in July 39 DC-9's will be parked over a 12 to 18 month period. This will cause the furlough of 150 to 200 crewmembers. They don't know the time frame because they don't as yet have the schedule from DHL. GS is meeting today with DHL to try and get some numbers.

No mention of the 767's but mgmt expects them to be removed from the DHL system as UPS picks up the freight. Mgmt asked DHL to return the two "chartered" 767 SFs ASAP so that they could be redeployed in the charter market ASAP. Graber indicated that customers have already contacted us to see if they can obtain aircraft released by DHL

There is a plan in place to convert to the PC aircraft to SF. The conversion will apparently be done ASAP as the aircraft are released from the DHL ACMI. The 5 ex TWA Pratt powered aircraft and a couple of the ex ANA aircraft may not be converted for economic reasons. I assume (yes, I know) the ex TWA becasue they are sufficiently different that supporting them raises costs a bit to much, and a few of the ex ANA aircraft because they are coming up on heavy checks. This might include the aircraft that were exposed to the mecury spill.

Per Graber & Hete there is enough "charter" business to keep all of the existing SF and newly minted SF's busy. This is likely to require a crewforce of 300 - 400. They are not sure of the exact numbers as yet. They also plan to keep, at least for now, the DC-9 aircraft that already have cargo doors. The doors will be reactivated if they can find business for the aircraft.

Hete & Graber committed to honoring the CBA with respect to the furloughs; i.e. junior first regardless of seat. This means the KIX crewmembers will be bumped if anyone wants to go to Japan. ANA apparently still wants us to be part of their inter Asia express network which is to be based at Okinawa. ANA has not yet been able to obtain "slots" for additional aircraft in the current system. Mgmt is talking to them about the possibility of crewing some of their 767-300's, perhaps on some sort of interchange agreement where we would pick up the aircraft somewhere (perhaps PANC) and fly it to points in the Americas.

Most of the sort employees will be laid off. DHL will continue to use ILN as a daysort truck hub. No word as yet if ABX will be able to continue to use ILN as "home base".

Last edited:
This sounds a little encourageing. My question is how are they going to pay for these conversions? Was there any particulars given?

There is a plan in place to convert to the PC aircraft to SF. The conversion will apparently be done ASAP as the aircraft are released from the DHL ACMI. The 5 ex TWA Pratt powered aircraft and a couple of the ex ANA aircraft may not be converted for economic reasons.

This sounds a little encourageing. My question is how are they going to pay for these conversions? Was there any particulars given?

There is a plan in place to convert to the PC aircraft to SF. The conversion will apparently be done ASAP as the aircraft are released from the DHL ACMI. The 5 ex TWA Pratt powered aircraft and a couple of the ex ANA aircraft may not be converted for economic reasons.

They didn't get into detailed specifics. They will have to re-negotiate credit lines with various lenders. They did mention the possibility of using the aircraft itself as collateral for the money needed; i.e. sell the thing to a bank and lease it back.

Per Graber & Hete there is enough "charter" business to keep all of the existing SF and newly minted SF's busy. This is likely to require a crewforce of 300 - 400.

I do not remember that quote. I specifically asked "If we lost the DHL book of business, how many pilots would be needed to fly Osaka and Miami including whatever extra business they could get in the short term?"

Graber's response was 10 767's crewed at 5 to 7.5 crews per aircraft. That means 630+/- pilots would be whittled down to 50-75 pilots remaining.

I do not remember that quote. I specifically asked "If we lost the DHL book of business, how many pilots would be needed to fly Osaka and Miami including whatever extra business they could get in the short term?"

Graber's response was 10 767's crewed at 5 to 7.5 crews per aircraft. That means 630+/- pilots would be whittled down to 50-75 pilots remaining.

That is probably true, but was that based on what we currently have going. Maybe ERICHARTMAN was talking about once the 767's PC''s are fitted with cargo doors.

To the pilots, did Graber talk about asking you for concessions to get pay more in line with the likes of Polar and Atlas, Kallita etc...... " I am just asking, so don't jump all over me".

Not that it makes a difference to most of us, but that would be 100-150 pilots (50-75 crews).

ANA apparently still wants us to be part of their inter Asia express network which is to be based at Okinawa. ANA has not yet been able to obtain "slots" for additional aircraft in the current system. Mgmt is talking to them about the possibility of crewing some of their 767-300's, perhaps on some sort of interchange agreement where we would pick up the aircraft somewhere (perhaps PANC) and fly it to points in the Americas.

Eric, were those statements made at the meeting also, or is the ANA intel another source?

Heard a rumor that ASTAR had to cancel a bunch of flights outbound last night because a bunch of 727 FE's walked. They could not crew the planes. Is this true?

You know I hate DHL as much as the next guy. That being said I would like to have a month or two find a new job. The only thing that shutting down the system is going to do is allow UPS to take over at a faster rate.

What are you going to do in five years if the economy turns around and UPS is hiring like mad and you send your resume in. Don't you think that they are going to see ASTAR/ABX on your resume and say"Oh yeah, aren't these the guys who made our lives difficult a few years ago". Just remember your reputation is going to stay with you. I know you guys are all class acts and good pilots, don't stoop to thier level. Now I am not saying follow them blindly to the end, what I am saying is get your resume together, send it out, if you get a bite, give your two weeks( nobody can fault you for that). Remember there are sorters, office workers and others who would appreciate a few months to get things in order, maybe pay down some bills, have a chance to find a job.

Don't worry about getting even with DHL they will get theres in the end.

Latest resources

Back