Anyone ever miss an item on a checklist?

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
Total Time
NA
Yesterday I started accelerating down the runway, and the airplane started to feel really light, really quick. It was definetly not like all the times before. No sooner do I notice this, and my instructor yells "Holy Sh*t"!!! and starts cranking the trim wheel down. Yeah, I goofed up major...

Kream926

pimpin' aint easy
Total Time
yup

some one forgott to put the gear handel in the down position before landing. needless to say they got fired.

wait so what your are sayong is the trim wheel was all the was to nose up and you didnt feel it as soon as you added power?

Gulfstream 200

Database Expert
Total Time
I wouldn't say MAJOR goof-up

you learned something, right? thats all that matters....

Now....forget to trim an old Learjet on takeoff....now THATS an experience.

:)..

viper548

Total Time
I used to always forget to turn the transponder on before takeoff

bigD

Total Time
4.9e17
Nope. Never missed a checklist item in my life. It's time for you to hang up your wings, UnAnswered! ;)

midlifeflyer

Total Time
some
Everyone has missed a checklist item somewhere along the way.

It's those small goofs in the short run that help in the long run.

McNugent

Whatever...
Total Time
Oh man, you'll do much worse things in the future I'm sure. I've had students pull some crazy stuff, and I don't have much room to talk, I've done it myself. Still do every now and then. Don't worry about it, just learn. And I guarantee you will never forget to look at that trim wheel again!

jknight8907

Total Time
Yep. I did it in a FlightSafety sim....once.

NookyBooky

Beach Bum Extraordanaire
Total Time
ha!

Kream926

pimpin' aint easy
Total Time

GravityHater

Total Time
The main thing is to double check the killer items; this is after the checklist is completed. A transponder left off, no biggie. Flaps/slats left retracted for take off, Ouchie. Learn the killer items for each plane and make them memory items.

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
Total Time
NA
Kream926 said:
wait so what your are sayong is the trim wheel was all the was to nose up and you didnt feel it as soon as you added power?
It wasn't completely aft, but much farther up than normal. I didn't notice it at the time I added power, but as soon as the speed picked up the nose really started lifting...

Da Vinci

Total Time
growin
i forgot to do a preflight one time...had a small incursion with some items on the ramp. it was costly. things were bent and leaking and it was NOT a good day. i can tell you 100% i never missed a preflight again...and don't ever intend to miss one in the future either.

Immelman

Total Time
Took off with the door unlatched in a traumahawk. No big deal, just came back around and landed. Oops.

gkrangers

college = debt
Total Time
some
Immelman said:
Took off with the door unlatched in a traumahawk. No big deal, just came back around and landed. Oops.
I did that in a Warrior...just closed it in the air.

Kream926

pimpin' aint easy
Total Time
in a baron it wont shut while its flying

wickedpilot

Grasshoppin'
Total Time
One of my students attempted to add takeoff power in a Duchess with 35 degrees of flaps down. I just stopped his hand from adding any more power and said After-landing-check...please.

Various other students have forgotten: Doors, windows, x-ponders, mixtures, aux pumps, parking brakes, tie downs, chocks, retracting gear and/or flaps aft T/O...if it's on the checklist, I've seen it be forgotten.

I have managed to intentionally distract every student to ever fly an RG with me to forget about the putting the gear down for landing. I call for the go-around and it's usually never forgotten again.