Anyone ever had any hail damage?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

English

Did you know you were going through hail when it happened? A friend just had over 50K in damage, and said he didn't know he went through hail until he landed.

English said:
Did you know you were going through hail when it happened? A friend just had over 50K in damage, and said he didn't know he went through hail until he landed.

Only in my car. And yes I knew it because of the broken windshield.

Well there is a story about Lear 35 on hail suppression project, that after an encounter with a particularly nasty hail shaft, looked like the pilots decided the most effective method would be to make smaller hailstones, by hitting the big ones with the plane ;)

And then a Cessna 340 that came back from a mission missing most all of its VGs.

English said:

Odd, it makes an unmistakable "crash" sound as it smashes into all the leading edges, was he listening to his favorite CD at 120db during the event. I have flown in hail and believe me, you know it.

He was flying a light jet, and said he heard a "tinkling" but didn't know it was hail. He also had a lightning strike, so maybe that distracted him:eek:

English said:
He was flying a light jet, and said he heard a "tinkling" but didn't know it was hail. He also had a lightning strike, so maybe that distracted him:eek:
Ah yes. When you're worrying that you passengers will (1) have noticed the loud light and sound, and (2) notice the new odor coming from your undershorts, you can miss smaller sounds....

Maybe someone has a link to that Pacific Jet Gulfstream that went through the T-Storm? We used to have a photo of it in the office with a caption that said: "Don't Do This".

The windows were shattered, the radome was smashed and ALL of the leading edges were pretty much worn away.:eek: But the crew got it safely on the ground where the photo was taken. Good Job!:rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back