• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Anyone ever had any hail damage?

English

Total Time
Did you know you were going through hail when it happened? A friend just had over 50K in damage, and said he didn't know he went through hail until he landed.

siucavflight

Back from the forsaken
Total Time
English said:
Did you know you were going through hail when it happened? A friend just had over 50K in damage, and said he didn't know he went through hail until he landed.

Only in my car. And yes I knew it because of the broken windshield.

414Flyer

Down with Chemtrails!
Total Time
Well there is a story about Lear 35 on hail suppression project, that after an encounter with a particularly nasty hail shaft, looked like the pilots decided the most effective method would be to make smaller hailstones, by hitting the big ones with the plane ;)

And then a Cessna 340 that came back from a mission missing most all of its VGs.

T

TDTURBO

English said:

Odd, it makes an unmistakable "crash" sound as it smashes into all the leading edges, was he listening to his favorite CD at 120db during the event. I have flown in hail and believe me, you know it.

English

Total Time
He was flying a light jet, and said he heard a "tinkling" but didn't know it was hail. He also had a lightning strike, so maybe that distracted him:eek:

jknight8907

Total Time
English said:
He was flying a light jet, and said he heard a "tinkling" but didn't know it was hail. He also had a lightning strike, so maybe that distracted him:eek:
Ah yes. When you're worrying that you passengers will (1) have noticed the loud light and sound, and (2) notice the new odor coming from your undershorts, you can miss smaller sounds....

HMR

I Live by the River.
Total Time
100+
Maybe someone has a link to that Pacific Jet Gulfstream that went through the T-Storm? We used to have a photo of it in the office with a caption that said: "Don't Do This".

The windows were shattered, the radome was smashed and ALL of the leading edges were pretty much worn away.:eek: But the crew got it safely on the ground where the photo was taken. Good Job!:rolleyes:

viper548

Total Time
I went through hail and we noticed. Everyone in back noticed too.

HMR

I Live by the River.
Total Time
100+
My grandfather used to say: "We're going to hail in a handbasket!"

:confused: