• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone Else Hear From World?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not the "how do you pack..." question again.

I flew for a commuter where our "long" trips were 5 days. Now I fly for ATA (unfortunately) where our "long" trips are 14, or more, days. It's no big deal.

You wear the same shi t at the bar about 8 times over. Your uniform shirt is wrinkled. Youre work shoes aren't shined. You wash your underwear, undershirts, and socks in the sink with shampoo, or detergent (I bring a small bottle of Tide).

If you are asking "how do you pack for a two week trip", then charter isn't for you. Dont even ask the rest of the questions.

Last edited:
Just wear G-string thongs or speedo banana hammocks, they are easy to wash in the toilet.....And bring along a large wooly sweater----it takes about a week to smell bad body odor.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General Lee said:
Thanks, you guys always seem nice when I talk to you at the lunch line at the training center.

Bye Bye--General Lee

With the amount of money they charge at the cafeteria, one would think you guys are making millions.

9 bucks for a 1/4 lbs. salad? WTF??

propjob7 said: "Now I fly for ATA (unfortunately) where our "long" trips are 14, or more, days."

You may want to check your contract, Section 12 F.1, 2, 3, and 4. (Pages 12-5 and 12-6)

If you are being kept out "14, or more, days" then you are getting screwed and should grieve it.

Here are some answers to the previously asked questions.

Trips can be long, between 4 and 18 days on the bid lines (contract min days off are 12, six of which are hard days off, and are all in a row). Out of the LAX domicile you can sometimes have a 3, 5 or 6 day trips on a bid line to support the Kimchi Express (PAC AMC flying). I too was curious about packing for long trips but it isn't a big deal. We don't fly everyday like you do in the commuters or at other carriers. A 17 day trip may have 7 or 8 legs. So I pack 4 uniform shirts and pack for 8 days typically, and if I still have room I'll throw some extras if you know what I mean. I carry tablet wash soap and plan to do laundry once a trip. I get my shirts laundered in the hotel (2 bucks a shirt in OSN Korea), and I don't have to iron as much! We have trip rigs so most guys don't go over guarantee for flying high block time, they get paid for being gone 17 days a month (4.8 hours of pay a day). 17 days of work is 81.6 hours of credit with 408 TAFB at 2.4 an hour which is $980 yields a second year monthly pay of $7018. Of course only the per diem is tax free... Not too bad.

Someone mentioned home basing. World has 2 domiciles, LAX and IAD. You can live where you want provided it is served by 3 or more major or national carriers. The commuters flying for a major count as well, meaning, for example, American Eagle, or ASA. I apologize, they are called Regional Airlines now-a-days, and so I don’t offend anyone here, I believe Eagle is technically a Major. World will buy you a ticket to where your trip begins and ends, some trips begin in LAX no trips begin in IAD. You will spend a fair amount of time in the back of an airliner which sucks, but what can you do… At least you have a seat.

World is a pretty healthy company right now. Profit sharing checks keep coming, which is always good, and we are growing. General Lee mentioned fuel prices affecting World, but they, for the most part, don't. World does not buy very much gas. Are largest customer is the US Military (they buy the gas) and World is also an ACMI (aircraft, crew, maint. and insurance) carrier, the airlines we sub service for buy the gas in that case too.

I agree with CCDiscoB about World being the best kept secret, but I am also sworn to secrecy.

FIT59

Thanks!

Thanks for some answers Fit59! I was surprised to get a call so soon, but hopefully they'll have another round of interviews here shortly. I wouldn't have been able to make the potential interview (one day notice!), but I hope to get some good news soon.

1800 RVR

I had 2 days notice... That's World for you... They may even give you 2 weeks notice on a class date. Don't worry, its not like that if you are on call, I always have days notice before a trip if I'm open for the month (open flyer, most junior position = not a line holder, not on reserve). 8 hours to call them back and I believe 6 hours before you have to be at the airport, so its about a 14 hour call out time. So you can go boating, play golf, fly airplanes, and most importantly, drink beer as an open flyer!

Cheers!

After receiving the email asking if I was interested, I responded in the affirmative, haven't heard anything back yet. Apparently all the interview slots are gone now; hoping I'll get the call for the next round.

reepicheep said:
After receiving the email asking if I was interested, I responded in the affirmative, haven't heard anything back yet. Apparently all the interview slots are gone now; hoping I'll get the call for the next round.

Gotta think the e-mail is better than their phone system. When I received a call for an interview, about 12 mos +/- ago, I had no luck getting through their voice mail message system, to ask to keep my resume alive, and defer the immediate interview dates. Tried several times. Guess I'm too simple to work a "phone system". :p

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back