Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anyone DE-ICE leaving KEGE on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fly91

Registered Pilot
Our plane, along with at least a couple others have called Vail Valey Jet Center about the fluid having trashed the paint. It will not come off no matter what you do. Gonna try some rubbing compound tomorrow.

Anyone else....

What color was it (type)?

What color was it (type)?

Type I
Dow Chemicals
Orange

Never in 12 years have I had de-ice fluid stain the paint on any plane I've ever flown in any country. Very wierd. And I'm not the only one complaining.

Type I
Dow Chemicals
Orange

Never in 12 years have I had de-ice fluid stain the paint on any plane I've ever flown in any country. Very wierd. And I'm not the only one complaining.

call Dow and ask if they use it on their own planes?

Deicing fluid sucks.

If you don't mind me asking, was the deicing due to active precip or something like overnight frost?

Deicing fluid sucks.

If you don't mind me asking, was the deicing due to active precip or something like overnight frost?

It sat 13 days, outside, at EGE. Had a couple inches of ice across the horizontal stab and 6-8 long icicles hanging off of it, and some lumpy areas of ice that looked about 4-5 inches high in some areas. Had to do the tail. We were in line behind 4 planes that all de-iced at least their tails. Then there were a bunch of spots on the top of the fuse right up near the windshield that looked about 1 inch thick, that went back about halfway down the fuse on top. Couldn't knock it off with the scraper.

They sprayed the top of the fuse from the windshield back about halfway, then the entire top and bottom of the H-stab.

We have streaks from the front to the back about 2-3 feet wide in a swirling pattern. Looks pretty cool...if it were a paint job lol

Also, that streak goes right across all the windows on both sides.

Wierd thing is: Some of it, not very much of it, came right off with the brush of my hand. But 90% of it is in the paint. A professional detailer tried to get some of it off today with 3 different liquid chemicals and a rubbing compound. Didn't budge it.
They're gonna have to high-speed buff it out, then repolish the whole plane. The paint on this thing was perfect too.

They're gonna have to high-speed buff it out, then repolish the whole plane. The paint on this thing was perfect too.

That is a mistake. It's not like a car with several coats and a clear coat. The paint on airplanes are a thin coat. I wouldn't let them do that with out further info. JMHO

That is a mistake. It's not like a car with several coats and a clear coat. The paint on airplanes are a thin coat. I wouldn't let them do that with out further info. JMHO

The base coat should be able to handle rubbing compound, if done correctly. Most paint shops shoot 3 coats, typically "Matterhorn White". Clear is shot only on metallic base or when requested on stripes.

Latest resources

Back