Anyone build Plastic Models?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UM#1

I recently built a few Revell plastic model airplanes for my kids to hang from their ceiling and such. I haven't built models since I was a kid. I did all the painting with a brush and I'd like to try my hand at airbrushing for better detail. Can any of you modelers suggest a good beginners Airbrush setup? Also what size air compressor do you need? What are some good models to build? Any suggestions appreciated...

UM#1 said:
I recently built a few Revell plastic model airplanes for my kids to hang from their ceiling and such. I haven't built models since I was a kid. I did all the painting with a brush and I'd like to try my hand at airbrushing for better detail. Can any of you modelers suggest a good beginners Airbrush setup? Also what size air compressor do you need? What are some good models to build? Any suggestions appreciated...

Anything from badger does the job. They also sell their little airbruch compressor for a couple hundred bucks. Yikes, but I have seen some of the smaller compressors go for like 50-60 bucks at Home Depot. Don't know if they would work tho.

Revell is bottom of the line. Try and find Hasegawa or Tamiya for some good quality model kits.

UM#1 said:

I have a Paasche VL series which I get pretty good results with, some people like the Badger 200 as well and I'll probably pick one up sometime down the road. As far as compressors go you don't need anything big for airbrushing but you do need to be able to regulate the pressure down to 10 to 15 psi and a moisture trap is a good idea as water in the paint will ruin the finish.

www.aircraftresourcecenter.com is a good modeling website with a message board with lots of tips.

If you already have a compressor in the garage like a big craftsman or whatever, all you need is the adapter for badgers, paasche which are readily available and a decent water trap. Absolutely no reason for you to spend $300 on a compressor you dont need. And the good part of using a large compressor is that you can build the air charge up and you can airbrush in quiet comfort.

A good brush for you would be the redesigned badger 200. Its an internal mix which reqiures good attention to cleaning each time you use it.

Paasche "H" model is also a good brush, its an external mix and also produces a smooth job.

Stay away from "dual action" brushes, really meant for artistry and not really for models, and definetely not for beginners.

Have fun

Last edited:
instead of a compressor, i used to have an air tank that i then rigged up with a water trap and regulator, then could hook my airbrush hose up to it and it would last for a couple coats at least...a little bit cheaper alternative (just need to run to the gas station once and awhile to refill). i got the plans in an old old finescale modeler back about 10 years ago and my dad helped me put it together. PM me if you want more info on how to do it.

I have a Badger 200 and small compressor from Badger. No airtrap, but here in CO it has not been a problem.

I have also read a good alternative to building your own small tank is to use an automobile innertube. I've never tired it but it may work for smaller (ie plastic model) jobs. You still need to regulate it though.

I have a Badger Cresendo, dual action, works well. I second the Home Depot suggestion for a small compressor. The small diaphram tankless type compressors get the job done but the air pulses rather than constant pressure which is preferable. A 2 or 3 gallon compressor works well and you can use it to air your tires up too.

I havent built any plastic models in a long while however I do have a small collection. Right now I'm working on a Hirobo Shuttle r/c helicopter and I have a 1/5 scale Sig Cub on the building board. I'm considering selling some of my plastic models, some of them are old and rare. I really don't buy to collect, I buy to build.

Latest resources

Back