Anybody live upstate NY?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LandGreen

buffalo? rochester? what part of these cities (smaller towns/neighborhoods) do you live? what are the best schools districts. thx

LandGreen said:
buffalo? rochester? what part of these cities (smaller towns/neighborhoods) do you live? what are the best schools districts. thx

Wow, upstate is Buffalo and Rochester, that's a new one on me. You are a pilot, right?

Propsync said:
Wow, upstate is Buffalo and Rochester, that's a new one on me. You are a pilot, right?

That is a fact, Buffalo and Rochester are upstate. Where are you from Kansas?

Landgreen,

Those silly NYC folk think Stewart Newburgh is upstate. Say Rochester or Buffalo and they think we were from another state. I live in MSP but was raised in Upstate (Finger Lakes Region). I still have some land there. If you like ROC, check out Chile (pronounced Chai lie, not the stuff you eat). Pittsford is another excellent area. In both areas you can get some NICE homes for around $250, and many under that. Pittsford has an excellent school system.

If you are interested in living 30 minutes away there is Canandagua, on Canandagua Lake (one of the 5 finger lakes). You can pick up a beautiful home there with a lake view for $280-$350.

AA

If you have any other questions PM me.

Clarence and Amherst are nice areas of Buffalo - both are NE of the city. Orchard Park seemed to be nice as well - SE of city. Newfane, Wilson, and Olcott are also nice areas north of Buffalo along Lake Ontario. Don't know how the schools were. Judging by NY taxes though they must of been great :(. Can't speak for Rochester although it seemed to be a nice area. It is much prettier than Buffalo area especially south of Rochester. Rolling hills, etc. I certainly would go back if the opportunity (and $!!) presented itself.
I agree with AA, the cost of homes seem to be very reasonable. Taxes are high guess (around $5K a year for a $250K home) it depends what you're used too.

MELIT said:
That is a fact, Buffalo and Rochester are upstate. Where are you from Kansas?

I'm from Illinois and all of my family started out in New York. On a compass rose you'll find four cardinal points. One of them is west. You can never be up from something if you are directly west of it. Plus, the finger lakes region ah forget it.

Rome Ny, is a growing area and I hear they are turning the old Griffiss AFB into the new local airport and closing Utica. I must agree, BUF and ROC are not upstate. Watertown is upstate...LOL

Upstate

Yes, Buffalo and Rochester are both "upstate". By NYC definition, anything north of the Bronx is "upstate". And Propsync, take another look at your map. Buffalo and Rochester are both North of NYC. Yes, they are also West and are usually considered Western NY, but they are Upstate.

So, if we have all sufficiently exhausted this irrelevant point, back to LandGreen's question: let me know if you would like specific info regarding any of the areas around either cities. I have been in the area for a long time and currently live near Rochester.

My wife is from the Buffalo area and we met while I was based there with CHQ. Her family lives in Orchard Park and East Aurora which in my opinion are the nicest suburbs in Buffalo. Williamsville is very nice as well. And yes, they are all expensive. Property taxes are high everywhere in Erie County. The city of Buffalo is in absolute dire straits financially with rampant mismanagement so I wouldn't look for taxes to go down.

Feel free to PM me and I'd be more than happy to speak with you on the phone with more details.

Propsync said:
I'm from Illinois and all of my family started out in New York. On a compass rose you'll find four cardinal points. One of them is west. You can never be up from something if you are directly west of it. Plus, the finger lakes region ah forget it.

Spoken like somebody who would have trouble finding down-east Maine or would go the wrong direction when told to go "down cape".

Latest resources

Back