Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anybody know the airnet guy that landed at bkv at 3:00 today?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I did it. Every Second Counts! We can loose thousands of dollars by missing a deadline by even a minute. Even with a barron.

Although more details are in order, you need to know that there is nothing wrong with a straight in approach.

I was recently a victim of this and the guy on downwind turned base with his student RIGHT in front of me inside of a 2 mile final at 700 feet. I went around.

I found out who he was and had a little discussion with him....it was his opinion that since he had been in the pattern all day long that my calls (from 10 miles out) and my entry didn't matter and he was willing to risk some lives to make a point. Needless to say that guy is on my pooperlist and will now be blacklisted by others who respect me and my opinions.

Aviation is a small community. Give a little professional courtesy now and then and it will also be given back to you. Everyone makes mistakes, but it is not worth it to see who wang is bigger when there are lives at risk.

Don't you remember from your Private days that Airnet has the right away over all other aircraft, that's just basic FARs. AIRNET ooooraahhh!!!

Wait a second

dhc8fo
Although more details are in order, you need to know that there is nothing wrong with a straight in approach.
Sure, if nobody is in the pattern or you can land without cutting someone off.
What do you think patterns are for?

dhc8fo
I was recently a victim of this and the guy on downwind turned base with his student RIGHT in front of me inside of a 2 mile final at 700 feet. I went around.
If you were on final and he was in the pattern.. Chances are he was lower and closer than you and has the RIGHT OF WAY!

dhc8fo
Needless to say that guy is on my pooperlist and will now be blacklisted by others who respect me and my opinions.

Wow! Your list? Put me on there, I want to feel the reprecussions.. Oh god, please don't ruin my career.

dhc8fo said:

I found out who he was and had a little discussion with him....it was his opinion that since he had been in the pattern all day long that my calls (from 10 miles out) and my entry didn't matter and he was willing to risk some lives to make a point. Needless to say that guy is on my pooperlist and will now be blacklisted by others who respect me and my opinions.

Aviation is a small community. Give a little professional courtesy now and then and it will also be given back to you. Everyone makes mistakes, but it is not worth it to see who wang is bigger when there are lives at risk.

Careless and reckless you were not using a recommended or approved pattern entry and if a midair occured you would have been cited it for not following a recommend procedure as per the aim at some point the other guy in the pattern was lower than you and had right of way how came first the jerk making a straight in or the guy following the recommended procedure flying a PATTERN. geez

I don't think you could get any more of a run-on sentence going there.

hotwings402 said:
Careless and reckless you were not using a recommended or approved pattern entry and if a midair occured you would have been cited it for not following a recommend procedure as per the aim at some point the other guy in the pattern was lower than you and had right of way how came first the jerk making a straight in or the guy following the recommended procedure flying a PATTERN. geez

OK, I THINK I understood some of that one....

ohhhh contrare mon frare (in my best french accent).... NOWHERE in the AIM or the regs does it say that pattern entries are REQUIRED (and I have never heard of an "approved" pattern. What it does say is that the person at the lower altitude in the pattern does have the right of way but that he cannot use that as a means to cut someone off (which is what happened in MY case).

No, I would not have been cited in this case since the other four people in the pattern heard and saw everything and I was not in the wrong (and if it makes you feel better, one was an examiner on the field who I also talked to about this).

And as far as my "list" goes... you just wait. Once you get a little more experience, you will see just how small this community is. If you guys go around cutting off your brethren in the pattern just because you feel like it when he wants to make a straight in approach, word will spread that you are a dick and you won't be getting a lot of calls to sit right seat....

hotwings402 said:
He did a straight in to final and cut us off when we were on base

what you forgot to add was that your pee'd in your pants and your student laughed at you.

dork

Forget about who's wrong or right just do this....

We have the same problem. I'm going to leave this vauge so I dont jepordize myself but this works. We are based out of a small uncontrolled airport. We land a aircraft there that is about as big and fast as you can get for a normal landing on a 3600 ft runway. Needless to say its rough fitting into the pattern with a bunch of 152's bonazas and ultralights. In fact it would be unsafe. So. We report we are using the IFR approach as we make a straight in landing. Most GPS approaches have a straight in leg so we report that. Before we did this most people would cut us off in a Taylorcraft because "Dammit I was here FIRST". Even though its dangerous there ego was getting the better of them. Its hard to convay that a large turbine a/c cant fit into a traffic pattern with light piston singles to gods gift to aviation. I still drive a small piston single and I always give way to bigger.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back