Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Anybody for the Age 60 Change Happen to have children who are pilots?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well said. It's hard to believe that anyone could complain about a parent wanting to fly to age 65 because the retirement package they were promised got jerked out from under them after they paid all that money for their kid to learn to fly. If I was in my twenties and my Dad had just paid for my education and flight training and than lost his retirement, I would be hoping and praying he could have the chance to keep flying if he needed to. The sense of entitlement the original poster has is galling.
An RJ pilot worried about age 60?? Since when does a job at a regional airline entitle you to move on to a larger carrier? If your an RJ pilot you are NOT at an airline effected by the rule and it's none of your business what the pilots at an airline that is effected do. You are not entitled to a job at SWA, UAL, DAL, Fed EX, etc etc just because you work at a regional airline. You may or may not make it to a larger airline, you may or may not even pass the first interview IF you do get called for an interview, it's none of your business until you work for an airline that is effected.
What's next, student pilots telling their flight instructor he'll have to quit once the student gets his ratings because he is taking up the job he needs to build up his experience?

Please tell me, what fight did you put up to keep your retirement? Management took plays out of the Lorenzo manual and you "senior" pilots failed to walk the talk. Y'all beat your chest about how experienced and necessary you are to the survival of this business. Yet when challenged to maintain a modicum of respect for the profession, you folded and voted (read VOTE) in a concessionary contract whereby you agreed to gut your own QOL.

As seniro pilots, you failed to lead nd instead fell victim to scare tactics and lawyers swifter than your MECs. Take ownership of where you are and go after management, rather than your fellow aviators.

Please tell me, what fight did you put up to keep your retirement? Management took plays out of the Lorenzo manual and you "senior" pilots failed to walk the talk. Y'all beat your chest about how experienced and necessary you are to the survival of this business. Yet when challenged to maintain a modicum of respect for the profession, you folded and voted (read VOTE) in a concessionary contract whereby you agreed to gut your own QOL.

As seniro pilots, you failed to lead nd instead fell victim to scare tactics and lawyers swifter than your MECs. Take ownership of where you are and go after management, rather than your fellow aviators.

I can't speak for any other airline, but my airline came out of a very challenging situation without "screwing the junior pilots" in fact. the retiremnt for people junior to me is argueably better than what I have. The senior folks kept the DB, the junior folks get a mix of both. Their DC is more secure than what I have and has the potential for greater gains. My airline has never screwed the junior pilots for the benefit of the senior pilots. At one point we had the lowest L1011 payscale in the industry, but the highest DHC-7 (junior pilots) pay scale. We never had a B scale. We had a large scale furlough and the list of benefits that was extended to the furloughed pilots out of the working pilots pocket is to extensive to go into here. I could go on, but I can safely say we never stuck it to a the junior pilots at my airline to benefit the senior pilots.

Whyme worry,
BTW, I don't work for CO, I'm guessing you do. You don't have a clue what our situation has been, so why would you be judging what we did?

Why the hell are we all arguing the topic in the 1st place? First off, we aren't going to change each others minds. Second, it's not like the decision is our to make. If you're so pissed about it, regardless of what side of the fence you're on, write your congressman instead of complaining on here.

*Yes, I did post on this topic and yes, I am calling the kettle black.

Common sense has to figure into this at some point. When the age 60 rule was implemented- ALPA and every pilot was pissed- and rightfully- b/c it was a successful ploy to chop off the highest paid, least productive group of pilots on the property (Ie: NOT lazy- but those who accrue the most vacation and sick time).

I think we as pilots don't adjust to change well enough and certainly not quickly enough. We look foolish when we pound the pavement everytime a change happens- when we could use that energy to use that change to our advantage.

Age 60 has always been a random rule-- Why should we argue to restrict our flying in our most profitable years if we want to continue flying?
5 years is a b/s number- It's already been pointed out that at some carriers- it's more profitable to still retire at 60 and take the DB. For others where it makes sense to keep flying-- what will it REALLY BE? Kind of a semi-retirement anyway, unless you like to donate your sick time and vacation back to the company.

The key is only to keep our contracts up (and personal finance up) so that we aren't all killing ourselves to age 65-- But imho- we don't need to be forced into retirement in order to make that the priority.

Last edited:
Children who are pilots are mostly against changing the rule to the international age standard.

Dan: career progression from a regional to a major is FAR more reasonable and customary than it is to assert a 40+ year rule should change to your benefit.

What he meant to say was....

Dan: career progression from a regional to a major is FAR more reasonable and customary (in today's way of thinking) than it is to correct a 40+ year rule that was wrong.

Latest resources

Back