• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

anybody fly a pc-12?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
i'm flying a piston single over the mountains 5 nights a week. is this something some pilots consider dangerous or risky?

The PC-12 which ditched in the Pacific actually ditched in The Sea of Okhotsk on a flight from Tokyo and Petropovlosk. They were on an around-the-world flight and were proceeding to Petro, Alaska and back home to Boise, Idaho. I have flown the PC-12 quite a bit flying aeromedical, charter and cargo. This is by far one of the best airplanes I have had the privilege to fly. The airplane can glide for 80 miles when flown between FL280-300. The drawback is that if you don't have extended O2 then you can glide longer than the pax can breath. The PC-12 is one of the best all-around airplanes cruising @ 250-270kts, landing in as little as 400'(conditions apply), carrying 2,000# of cargo with 3 hrs. of fuel and fuel burn around 350# per hour.

twin??single??

Jolimon said:
Interesting discussion...Having flown about an equal amount of single and multi it does raise the question of which is safest. A PC-12 recently had an engine failure on takeoff in trenton. The aircraft was totalled, however no one was hurt. I have about 1,000 hours in a PC-12 in all types of weather and it never let me down. But engines do on occassion fail. If that was a professionally flown Baron or Seneca...Things may have been different, the plane could have returened for an uneventful landing. I guess my fealing, for what its worth, it that for a non-professional pilot the single engine turbine is the safest thing in the sky. But a professionally flown twin either piston or turbine is still safer. Would you agree?

I would agree with the twin turbine but twin piston?? I don't know. Still a lot of moving parts. Having flown a senaca to St. Croix and lost the critical one at the farthest point from land it was nice to have another one turning. In my humble opinion a toss up?!!

Latest resources

Back