anybody fly a pc-12?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cl65@350

hello...anybody fly that pilatus? if so...at night, single pilot over the mountains? is that something only i am a little anxious about??

i know that pt 6 is a good engine...but still!

Nice airplane

I have never actually flown the aircraft, but I have flown in it on someone else's checkride. I sat in the cushy chairs in back for two hours as the guy up front practiced touch-and-goes. It seemed like a very solid and fast aircraft. I like the avionics suite up front - nice EFIS. It also had the "feel" of a much larger aircraft - reminded me of a Brasilia...

As for the single-engine issue, my impression is that the PC-12 safety record is very good. Also, the aircraft's glide-ratio is supposed to be excellent....

Good luck and HAVE FUN!

I have spent a fair amount of time in SE turbines, inlcuding the PC-12.
Should you be concerned about night, IMC, mountainous terrain? Yes; it is a single engine.

Would I not go because it is a SE turbine? No; the PC-12 is a fantastic aircraft that is designed for a high glide ratio in the event of an engine out situation.

The safety record is great, the accidents that have occured have resulted in very little injury to pax and crew, the plane is built extremely well.

PM me if you have any questions.

Accidents

I know of 3 PC-12 loss of power accidents, fortunately no fatalities. One was in Canada during cruise, landed off airport, aircraft destroyed. Another was on a flight between Hawaii and the U.S. mainland resulting in a ditching at sea, and a recent one in NJ just after take-off - I believe they made the airport but the aircraft was substantially damaged.

The PC12 is an outstanding airplane I've got a buddy of mine that flies them for a fractional here in the NE. Actually quite a bit of my friends have flown for alpha. Here are a few misconceptions about the accidents.

One was in Canada during cruise, landed off airport, aircraft destroyed.
The pilot took off with a chip light on, nice huh, continued his flight, lost oil pressure and put it down in the middle of nowhere. Pilatus had a new one to him right away, then they found out that he took off with a chip light. Took it right back.

and a recent one in NJ just after take-off
The pilot took off from TTN and had a catostrophic failure of the gearbox which is a very rare occurance circled back around and landed totalled the airplane. Actually the fire department totalled it after they smashed holes in the wings with their fireaxes.

It's a good solid plane. Sure 2 is nice, but it's a sweet plane.

Didn't mean to infer that the PC-12 wasn't a very nice aircraft. I've flown in one and thought it was great. I also have quite a bit of time behind a PT-6 in a Caravan, no question it's a great, reliable engine.

But everything else being equal, I'd choose 2 jets over 1 PT-6 any day.

everything has its place. The beauty of a PC-12 is 1/2 the cost of operation of a BE-200 for about the same airplane.

I think they teach those pilots how to fly a deadstick ILS in the sim.

Air Midwest has about 4-8 engine failures a year, but those PT-6's have over 10,000 hours and 15,000 cycles.

I suppose if you fly @ FL280 over the rockies you could glide to an airport?

I have talked with several pilots of PC-12s and they all like them immensely. My concern is, if you lose the engine, wouldn't you lose pressurization too? now a double emergency. I have heard tho that it has amazing glide qualities.
Cappy

the airplane should take a couple minutes (probably 4 or 5) to depressurize. In that time you could get the mask on. You can breathe with a 14-16,000 cabin alt.

I remember hauling freight in a C404 over the Front range from Colorado Springs to Gunnison. The MEA was 16,000 feet. We were at FL180 westbound when the guy I'm flyign with pulls out a Marlboro Light and opens the storm window and asks "mind if I smoke?"
Before you guys start in about FAR's and company regulations, I just wanted to see if he would pass out. He didnt even turn blue! Cool!

Re: Accidents

fracman said:
Another was on a flight between Hawaii and the U.S. mainland resulting in a ditching at sea

Ok, that was just dumb... the longest overwater route around and they take a single engine plane... obviously more dollars than sense...

Latest resources

Back