anybody ever work for Key Lime Air?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Future SNA said:
Why not try Superior Aviation, $36,500 starting salary, plus like $35 a day per diem, 8 cents a mile, just off the top of my head what one of their guys told me.

Superior's starting pay is $29,500 (< 6 months) then $32,000 1st year. No mileage. This company has had some major mgt. changes recently for the better and is quickly becoming a decent place to work.

I don't think that they are hiring into the left seat of Metro unless you have at least a couple hundred hours of Metro time.

If I recall KeyLime under-bid Superior for the UPS contracts in DEN and then was unable to meet their obligations. UPS realized that they got what they paid for and now Superior is starting to get their DEN runs back. Again, it's a decent place to work and they are hiring. They need mostly Caravan pilots at the moment.

Last edited:
Anyone got a website for Superior?

"Double what the previous post says pay is and it still ain't worth your life."

haha yeah man. Anytime you fly the metro single pilot your life is in jeopardy. I hope to god i never see the inside of one of those again.

Some of Key Lime's Navajos operate into very high mountain airports, places with MEA's well above 10000 and 16000 ft Grid MOCAs. Obviously this is not a piston friendly environment, especially when the ice begins to accrete. Even in a 757 one has to be careful. If only i had a buck for every time I've heard KeyLime trying to haggle a VFR-on-top clearance below the minimum IFR altitude. No surprise, a year or two ago they lost a Navajo and both crewmembers in the mountains. My regional ain't on the Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For list, but at least I know the likelihood of sudden death within the next few years is comfortably low.

"Some of Key Lime's Navajos operate into very high mountain airports, places with MEA's well above 10000 and 16000 ft Grid MOCAs. "

I spent a whole lot of time flying the the rockies in a Chieftain long ago and it was some of the best experience I have had. It is not that big of a deal. In fact the Chieftain is an ok plane in the ice as long as all the boots are working. Now granted if one quits your in serious trouble, but it ain't gonna matter where your at, sea level or mountains it's not going far on one engine. Had a buddy flying one in the Florida panhandle a few years ago, lost one at 7000' and it was a controlled decent for 30 miles to PNS, wouldn't hold altitude with 2 people onboard. The only real problem I ever had was the D*$n cabin heater quit all the time and you would freeze your a@& off.

Key Lime Air stinks

I worked for Key Lime Air in 2000-2002 and was very disappointed, I was treated like crap, the training sucks, after ground school it took me 5 months to get my checkride, was a SIC and got paid $5.00 an hour to bust my ass, the wreck airplanes, few fatalities, and 4 metro crashes in 4 months...stay away, let them go down fast! They are a terrible carrier..hope FAA looks into how many violations they break everyday...from duty times, to deicing.....everything...mx..all terrible. Try Superior or many other cargo carriers..key lime is a class clown operation!
Don't recommend it...do anything to avoid and get to a 121 outfit. Sorry for the negatives, but I was screwed way too many times there!

FWIW,

I talked to the CP there and they hire only from the SIC development program. It sounded a little scam-like to me as well. Too much talk about things being extra $$...

I opted for something else.... luckily for me I guess cause all these posts are news to me : )

SabreFlyR said:
" the Chieftain is an ok plane in the ice as long as all the boots are working.

Chieftain is ok in ice as long as the engine inlets don't start to close up. I aged 10 yrs once on an approach into LCI. Cough, sputter, sputter. Alt air is marginal, but the boots worked really well.

"inlets don't start to close up"

I been in a lot of heavy ice, never had that happen. It's possible that the filter actually iced over, it sits in the open at the bottom of the cowling. No fun what ever the cause though.

I flew a Caravan out LCI back in the late 80's, pretty cool place to live, back then.

I can't imagine single pilot IFR in a Metro... er, I mean, PFT SIC crewmember. Oh wait, it's the same thing.

sad.

scoot

Latest resources

Back