• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any word on TEB crash

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How could the police ever cite this guy, last time I checked troopers were not able to give out summons for federal violations regarding aviation. I guess this guy is an ntsb investigator too. I would hope this gets thrown out of court.

airspeed said:
How could the police ever cite this guy, last time I checked troopers were not able to give out summons for federal violations regarding aviation. I guess this guy is an ntsb investigator too. I would hope this gets thrown out of court.

They can't.

This citation isn't worth anything. The cops should know that they can't cite people for infractions- real or imagined- that occur outside their jurisdictions.

I wonder if the cop cited the guy for speeding too? In most states, when a specific speed limit isn't posted on a public road, 35 MPH is assumed. The pilot was going 51 MPH. :rolleyes:

Actually, in most states, only State Police Officers have jurisdiction over issuing citations involving aircraft. Basically, I am not a lawyer, but if there is a state statute defining aircraft operation a state agency may issue a citation for "violating" said statutes. A total crock of $hit if you ask me.

You talkin bout when cops collide? In STL? Your link came up to a registration page, here's more on the accident...looks like the bad cop was drunk with a .188 BAC.

Similar case here. Retired cop goes on weekend charity ride with Police Commander wife. Winds up at a bar with other cops. Sometime during the festivities, motorcycle is ridden into bar and floor is burned from spinning tires. Afterwards, both are found dead after accident, and autopsies reveal both were knee-walkin' drunk. Special investigator named.

Bad news all around...

http://www.news8austin.com/content/your_news/?SecID=278&ArID=127180

slowto250 said:
No minimum hours required to solo. Just a CFI's signoff and crossed fingers.

Okay, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something.

So where does the "Lasalle had logged 44 hours of flying since November 2003. The minimum for flying solo is 20, Wlodarsky said." come from?

Another case of everyone knowing everything about aviation?

-mini

dalegribble said:
Actually, in most states, only State Police Officers have jurisdiction over issuing citations involving aircraft. Basically, I am not a lawyer, but if there is a state statute defining aircraft operation a state agency may issue a citation for "violating" said statutes. A total crock of $hit if you ask me.
I think you hit the nail pretty close to right on the head...Ohio must have a state law or statute. So the officer was able to cite the pilot. Local officers get their authority from the state, so they would have been able to cite under a state statute as well. I know, I just got a seat belt citation and it's under the state statute 347.48(2m)

However, the officer only had a case when the pilot opened up his big fat yap and told the cop what he thought he did wrong.

You do not have to issue any statement at the scene of the crash, no matter how much the officer wants you to. He will tell you something to the effect "that your memory is best right after the crash"...or "yadda yadda yadda, why don't you just answer me a few questions so I get my paperwork started."

You have the right to an attorney, you have a right to have an attorney present during questioning, you have a right to remain silent. You also have a right to NOT be a witness against yourself.

The officer most likely has a right to see your identification, the aircraft registration and other documentation. He also has a right to ask you to take a test for breath or drug tests. I don't have a problem with any or all of those things.

But his so called accident report can wait a day or thirteen...them forms don't evaporate. It's not like they are running out of paper or video tape over at the cop shop either.

Don't issue any statements to a police officer at the scene of an aircraft accident or incident until you have gotten legal counsel. Period. This police officer is not certified airplane accident investigator. He probably doesn't know the difference between a VOR and a chandelle.

But you can say what you want...I'm not licensed to give legal advice and there's your disclaimer.

Latest resources

Back