Any status reports on S. FL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cvsfly

Any have any info? Seen the NOTAMS so far. How is KFLL? Fuel status? Can't get through on phone yet.

I was supposed to be travelling on Delta from JFK to FLL tomorrow. I called this morning and they said FLL would open at 1800. I just checked again and now all flights tomorrow are cancelled as well. JetBlue has cancelled half their flights tomorrow also.

Guess I'll wait it out here in Dubai.

TP

I couldn't get through to Jetscape or National Jets. Jet Center said they were open for business pumping fuel but they had no power. Anyone know the status of the Boat Show? Much damage? I can't imagine them going through with it without power, but boss wants to know.

from DUATS

Fort Lauderdale FL (Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Intl) [FLL]: October NOTAM #32
Airport closed night

Fort Lauderdale FL (Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Intl) [FLL]: October NOTAM #31
Runway 13/31 closed

Fort Lauderdale FL (Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Intl) [FLL]: October NOTAM #30
Runway 9L / 27R closed

Fort Lauderdale FL (Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Intl) [FLL]: October NOTAM #29
Numerous tower light OUTAGES associate hurricane WILMA until November 08th, 2005 at 03:20 PM EST (0511082020)

Fort Lauderdale FL (Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Intl) [FLL]: October NOTAM #28
VOR / DME unmonitored

Fort Lauderdale FL (Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Intl) [FLL]: October NOTAM #26
VOR / DME out of service

Fort Lauderdale FL (Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Intl) [FLL]: October NOTAM #24
Terminal area surveillance radar / secondary surveillance radar out of service

Fort Lauderdale FL (Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Intl) [FLL]: September NOTAM #39 Runway 9L RFT MU 38/68/47 effective from September 27th, 2005 at 110 AM EST (0509271600)

Fort Lauderdale FL (Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Intl) [FLL]: July NOTAM #35 issued by Sid Notam OA [USD]
Ft.. LAUDERDALE nine departure (Pilot navigation) add take - off minimums: runway 9R, 300 - 1 or standard with a minimum climb of 460 ft. per nautical miles to 400.

Fort Lauderdale FL (Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood Intl) [FLL]: November NOTAM #12 issued by Star Notam OA [UAR]
MRLIN transition expect clearance to cross MRLIN intersection at 8000

cvsfly said:
I couldn't get through to Jetscape or National Jets. Jet Center said they were open for business pumping fuel but they had no power. Anyone know the status of the Boat Show? Much damage? I can't imagine them going through with it without power, but boss wants to know.

I got through briefly to National Jets this afternoon. They were extremely busy and had a lot of damage. From what I understand their hangar was heavily damaged, some of it (or most of it, I'm not sure) collapsed and crushed one of their Lears inside. Both my other pilot's and my car were undamaged in the parking lot but my boss's brand new Audi appears to be toast.

National Jets has been home to our flight department for nearly 2 years now and I'm not looking forward to what we will find if we are able to get back home on Saturday. From the last news I have heard, FLL is closed until further notice due to power outtages and all the associated collateral damage and clean up. As for the Boat Show, I don't think they'll be having it in Ft. Lauderdale this weekend, but stranger things have happened.

BTW, if anyone comes across photos of the damage at KFLL post the link or if you have any photos, post those. I'd like to prepare myself for what I'll see once I return.

UPDATE - I spoke with another CSR friend at National Jets. The Hangar is gone, peeled back like you would the top of a can of sardines. The roof is gone, in places right down to the foundation and the doors are gone. However, the offices next to the hangar, the maintenance shops and the customer lobby are still intact, albiet with some broken windows. They are still open for business, but with somewhat limited offerings as the no longer have a hangar to put planes in. They have fuel and as of this morning, there is at least one runway open for private aircraft use. There was no word yet on when commercial operations would return.

National Jet's nicest jet N77NJ, was damaged inside the hangar but their newly aquired jet which was going through a 12 year/12,000 hour inspection and wasn't back together yet, was also in the hangar but wasn't damaged. Someone's Mercedez in the hangar was destroyed.

The Fed-Ex sort facility next to National Jets also had it's roof heavily damaged. I'm not sure what other business on that side of the airport were damaged but I think Sheltair (The Jet Center) fared pretty well though they were without power. Also Customs was not available yet at the airport when I spoke to the people at N.J.

As for the boat show, it has been shortend from 5 days to 4 and openning day has been postponed to November 3rd. We head home from Spain on Saturday morning so will have to deal with the logistical problems as they come in the rebuilding process.

Last edited:
I might fly down to LNA (Palm Beach) later today to bring a family food, water, etc....in the mighty cargo hauler 172!

I'll try to get pics of the area.

I fly out of LNA, but I haven't made it down there yet. I'm still in Jupiter and it is a mess. I'm at work now, which is the only place around here that has power. Amazingly enough, we still have internet access. I haven't had a shower since Mon though. Thankfully its been unusually cool out since the storm.

Anyway, Palm Beach appch is back on the air, but all the airports took a huge beating. I know there is extensive damage at PMP, BCT, and LNA. I haven't personally seen them, but I saw some pics on my battery operated TV. PBI, FXE and FLL likely received very heavy damage as well, but I haven't seen how bad yet. A lot of people (including me) didn't think this storm would be as bad as it was, and I think a lot of people left their aircraft thinking we'd only see a tropical storm rather than a very strong Cat 2. From what I experienced, this storm was more powerful than the Cat 3 I went through last year.

Gkrangers, if there's anything I can do to help you with relief down at LNA let me know. Not sure if I can make that kind of a drive right now with the crazy gas situation, but I'd look into it. Thanks for any help.

Sam

gkrangers said:
I might fly down to LNA (Palm Beach) later today to bring a family food, water, etc....in the mighty cargo hauler 172!

I'll try to get pics of the area.

Yeah, I understand all the difficulties they are having. FPL said it there is more damage to their system from this storm than all four hurricanes that hit last year combined. Original estimates were that 98% of the people in South Florida were without power. That's nearly 6 million. They also said it could take over a month to get power back to everyone. They did pretty good in most cases last year and over the other storms that hit this year, being conservative on their estimates. Lets hope they do an outstanding job this time.

We'll probably haul in some supplies ourselves. We normally wouldn't stop to clear customs any place but homebase FLL, but it looks like we'll stop at Willmington, NC on some other place along the way instead and make the last leg domestic after going "shopping." But that is still debatable right now. I really don't fell included to haul stuff home all the way across the Atlantic. Neither will my boss I'm sure.

Later.

wrxpilot said:
I fly out of LNA, but I haven't made it down there yet. I'm still in Jupiter and it is a mess. I'm at work now, which is the only place around here that has power. Amazingly enough, we still have internet access. I haven't had a shower since Mon though. Thankfully its been unusually cool out since the storm.

Anyway, Palm Beach appch is back on the air, but all the airports took a huge beating. I know there is extensive damage at PMP, BCT, and LNA. I haven't personally seen them, but I saw some pics on my battery operated TV. PBI, FXE and FLL likely received very heavy damage as well, but I haven't seen how bad yet. A lot of people (including me) didn't think this storm would be as bad as it was, and I think a lot of people left their aircraft thinking we'd only see a tropical storm rather than a very strong Cat 2. From what I experienced, this storm was more powerful than the Cat 3 I went through last year.

Gkrangers, if there's anything I can do to help you with relief down at LNA let me know. Not sure if I can make that kind of a drive right now with the crazy gas situation, but I'd look into it. Thanks for any help.

Sam
Whats the gas situation like in Jupiter ?

And if I make the flight, where should I park to offload the supplies? I've never been to LNA.

Latest resources

Back