Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any problems airling with liquids, gels, etc?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Scaramunga

Hey all,

I was just wondering what everyone's experience with TSA has been with regard to carrying liquids and gels thourgh security. If you're in uniform do you get hassled at all? I'm coming back off from vacation so I haven't had the pleasure of airling to work in a while.

Someone mentioned a TSA directive stating that any pilot in uniform is permited to carry those items. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of that?

Thanks!!!

I have no idea where the copy can be found or if it even applies to 91.K (although I would guess it doesn't), but I know from personal experience that the uniform smooths out a lot of problems when airlineing. When I didn't wear it I had to check the bag with toothpaste, after shave, etc. and when I wore the uniform I was waved right through. The ticket counter dude even deselected me from the dreaded "SSSSS" because of the uniform.

Wearing a uniform MAY get you and your bags through security, but TSA is not required to allow 91K / 135 flight crew to pass with the prohibited items. If you're not wearing a 121 badge, it is entirely possible that they would require you to empty your bag of the prohibited items or give you the option to go back and check it.

Last edited:
I have yet to have had any problems with liquids/gels anywhere in uniform so far, but getting SSSS off my boarding passes has been hit and miss- depends purely on the attitude of the checkin counter agents. Funny thing about the SSSS is that almost all the TSA personnel,unhappy at having to do the extra work, insist that the checkin counter 'should have' removed the SSSS.

The policy issued by TSA indicates the flight crewmembers in uniform working a flight, deadheading, jumpseating or repositioning are exempt from the liquids ban. It makes NO MENTION of the policy applying only to 121 carriers. My company is a commercial air carrier and holds a certificate stating such. I have not had any problems when in uniform and have only heard of problems in CMH and HPN because there always has to be some knucklehead manager somewhere who makes his or her own policy.

skyaddict said:
I have yet to have had any problems with liquids/gels anywhere in uniform so far, but getting SSSS off my boarding passes has been hit and miss- depends purely on the attitude of the checkin counter agents. Funny thing about the SSSS is that almost all the TSA personnel,unhappy at having to do the extra work, insist that the checkin counter 'should have' removed the SSSS.

The airlines are not allowed anymore to take of the SSSS on your boarding pass. But the uniform does get you through though, at least most places.
It sure is comforting how much safer the tsa has made this country...:eek: :eek:

gutshotdraw said:
The policy issued by TSA indicates the flight crewmembers in uniform working a flight, deadheading, jumpseating or repositioning are exempt from the liquids ban. It makes NO MENTION of the policy applying only to 121 carriers.

Our company spoke directly with the TSA on this issue. It's not just the clothing component of the uniform, Gutshot. It is also the ID badge. Ours are not SIDA compliant - he11, they don't even carry an expiration date. Any ya-hoo could counterfeit these things.

So yes. By being in SOME TYPE OF uniform, you MAY get through TSA security with all your liquids, gels, etc. But if they deny you, who do you think would win an arguement? Personally, I'm not going to risk the hassle. I'll check my bag (now per my company policy) and if it gets lost, I don't fly on the other end until it catches up with me. When my company works out something different with the TSA, I'll go back to carrying my bag through security.

I jumpseated 2 weeks ago out of both PHX, and DAL in uniform and had no problems. When going through security in PHX, the TSA screener yelled "bag check" when my bag went through, but I told him it was mine. He checked my ID and waved me through. In Dallas they just checked my ID and that was it. In my experience, wearing the uniform most definitely makes things go smoother.

I fly 135, not 121 and it did not seem to make a bit of difference.

What is needed besides shaving cream and toothpaste? I got through with my shaving cream and left toothpaste at home. Most of the hotels have toothpaste that will get you through the week.

"The airlines are not allowed anymore to take of the SSSS on your boarding pass."

I'd say 50% of the time a friendly check-in agent still does it for me. And the TSA supervisors seem to think they can.

Latest resources

Back