• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

any news on california pacific airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I read they have a new president and CEO, John Selvaggio. Any 'gouge' on him that isn't available via google? (ie ******************************b*g, good guy, etc).

Like previously mentioned; moot point if the feds never budge on their app

I read they have a new president and CEO, John Selvaggio. Any 'gouge' on him that isn't available via google? (ie ******************************b*g, good guy, etc).

Like previously mentioned; moot point if the feds never budge on their app

Good trumpet-player, presided over great success stories like Song and Comair, writes nice, friendly emails.

Update (not looking good);

http://www.insidesocal.com/aviation/2013/08/20/california-pacific-airlines-will-it-ever-fly/

Excerpt quote from FAA:

“We rejected CP Air’s formal application for certification due to a number of deficiencies,” FAA Spokesman Ian Gregor told the San Diego newspaper. “We plan to meet with CP Air officials within the next few weeks to further discuss their application.”

Sounds like they didn't hire the right talent to put together manuals/programs properly. Will probably doom them ultimately. I'll never understand it (my company, Virgin America, is guilty of the same thing); these startups pump $millions upon millions$ into infrastructure, pre-marketing, etc., and then cheap-out (as in hiring the lowest bidder) when it comes to experienced talent who knows how to start an brand-new airline properly.

I don't think this is their 'first round' with the feds..I get the feeling they'll be told; "thanks for trying to play, but no soup for you". I feel bad--was kinda rooting for them.

Despite what the press says, rumor is that their one airplane was repossessed.

I believe moral of the story; if you're crazy enough to start an airline--find the top talent in doing so and PAY THEM WHAT THEY WANT!!

The whole fleet repo'ed? oopsy!

The whole fleet repo'ed? oopsy!

Just a rumor I heard; article could be accurate..It certainly makes sense that the company would want to renegotiate the lease from $200K/mo for an airplane just sitting and rotting on a ramp with DOT approval nowhere in sight.

.....Something about the 170 being unable to operate out of CRQ...if I recall correctly. It doesn't look good for their future.

Not that I'm an airline genius or anything but I emailed them like 2 years ago and told them the 170 will never work out of there. I suggested the q400 with the same seat configuration. It would operate fine in and out of there, have similar black times on the routes flown, and be cheaper to operate.

The chief pilot actually emailed me back and said in a nut shell, that they have it all figured out using that plane there.

Hmmmm.

I believe moral of the story; if you're crazy enough to start an airline--find the top talent in doing so and PAY THEM WHAT THEY WANT!!

Somehow I had a feeling they never really wanted to start an airline. This sounds a lot like Family Airlines, only with smaller aircraft, but just as stillborn, if only once, unlike Family's what, 5-6 times?

It served it's purpose...to provide pay checks for some retirees looking for a hobby....if it never happens, then some investors will save some money from going down the drain...

It served it's purpose...to provide pay checks for some retirees looking for a hobby
Pretty sad if that's indeed all these folks cared about. You'd think that despite his 91 years, old Ted's ego has gotta be a bit crushed. (not to mention his heirs' inheritance)

Like I said before, I suspect this may have come down to not hiring the right talent (READ: not wanting to pay the $$) to launch this thing correctly. Someone's anecdote above that he emailed the CP yrs ago to warn that the E170 would never work..and response he got..also suggests a bit of ego-driven 'damn the FAA torpedoes--full speed ahead'. RIP.

I'd say that the market may be open to someone to start this thing with Q400s, though. Apparently there is consumer demand. I know that those CRQ-LAX Skywest flights are often full..

I'm sure you'll see Q400s with Eskimos/(rebrand) on the tail doing those routes in the next couple years.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back