Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any new info on Continental Airlines? Future hiring?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How much notice do they have to give the company if they don't want bridge medical?

My understanding is none. I recently flew with a guy that said his lump sum would go down 100K if he waited. He hasn't given the company notice but figures if they don't give him bridge medical, he can buy plenty with the 100K. His lump sum estimate will decrease next summer by only an additional 9K if he sticks around. Everyone's case is probably a bit different.

Not a single gummer is leaving early.

The other piece of the puzzle is the availability of the lump-sum option. CAL mgmt. has indicated that if enough pilots retire at once, there may not be enough funding to maintain it, leaving only the annuity option for the later retirees.

Perhaps some pilots will choose not to risk the chance of the annuity disappearing in a future bankruptcy/restructuring/underfunding nightmare.

If anyone is planning on retiring to make the GATT rate cutoff, they have already put their letter in if they want the bridge medical. I just flew with a guy who is leaving at the end of October because the rate change on Nov.1 will push his lump sum down, he gave his notice this past spring. The company will review shorter notices on a case by case basis and he said he has not heard of anyone being denied yet.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a giant influx of retirements.

Gonna have to disagree with you on this one. Although not a big influx, I think the company may get a surprise. Flew with a CA last week who said he is leaving, but didn't put in papers. Doesn't need the medical, as he is ex-military. He said f@@k the company for furloughing, let em be shorthanded. I'll give em a weeks notice at best... and I'm not the only one!

Yogi

The numbers of people who are going to put in for their retirement is independent of any financial considerations in my view. Much like the age 65 change, this isn't really about money. This is about the displaced and the dispossessed afraid of having to confront that one person they never want to meet. Themselves.

Continuing to fly allows them the illusion of indispensability, and distracts them from the disaster their personal lives have become, primarily as a result of decades of work at an airline that demands one sells oneself out for the sake of "just being lucky to have a job".

Those of you who can't wait for us internal critics to leave have my condolences, because with that sort of perspective how can you ever expect CAL to get better? You don't want to face the ugly truth that our "contract" is and simply think your going to negotiate some sort of sweetheart deal with the likes of Mr. Smisek. Good luck with that one.

Just released for the day! Officially, 0 (zero) hours for Sept. 2009!!! Yup, this place sucks!!! Gotta shut this place down!!!!

Where is that FUPM bracelet when you need it, gosh!!!!

Just released for the day! Officially, 0 (zero) hours for Sept. 2009!!! Yup, this place sucks!!! Gotta shut this place down!!!!

Where is that FUPM bracelet when you need it, gosh!!!!

I'm confused. There are so many complaints of short-staffing at CAL here in the forums and you flew zero hours in Sept.? So is the company over-staffed then?

Hi!

CAL sucks the same way the DAL/UPS/FedEx/Cathay/Emirates, and about everyone else also sucks. Some pilots are completely unhappy at fed up at all of the above carriers.

cliff
NBO

Really? I work there and haven't flown with anyone who wishes they were anywhere else. Let me guess, a friend of a friend of a friend said......

My prediction is 250 guys will bolt between now and next June. By then the A fund will be so depleted that mgmt will default on the lumpsum option. The remaining A-funders will be whining but it will have been their fault for ignoring the writing on the wall.

The incoming CEO said it himself last month, he will NOT put the company in jeopardy to save the lump sum. A standing ovation from the non-pilot crowd followed his commentary. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out what is coming next.

If it were me, I'd be out of here by year's end. Anything after than will be like flipping a coin as to whether you're going to get any A-fund lump sum benefit.

Latest resources

Back