Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Has Skywest ever furoughed in the past?

Not Pilots...

They just put something out that said they are going to do part time lines, more time off without pay and more leaves.. That plus looking for more flying should help us out. If these programs don't work then I would get nerves.

If VLA and part-time lines do not get enough takers and there is ANY reduction in summer flying, I (unfortunately) figure 200 furloughs by May. If we survive the summer without furloughs and do not have a voluntary reduction in staffing, furloughs will be needed for the fall/winter schedules. I guess time will tell. I REALLY HOPE I AM WRONG.....

If VLA and part-time lines do not get enough takers and there is ANY reduction in summer flying, I (unfortunately) figure 200 furloughs by May. If we survive the summer without furloughs and do not have a voluntary reduction in staffing, furloughs will be needed for the fall/winter schedules. I guess time will tell. I REALLY HOPE I AM WRONG.....

I'm very hopeful that the VLA/part-time works (in fact, I might be a taker in the PT lines... all depends on how the benefits thing shakes out) but I tend to agree with the above. It seems, however, that everyone involved is commited to seeing this work out.

That's my take, anyway. I personally tend to think that, while there is a possibility of furloughs, we probably will not see it happen. I'm an optimist though.

And if it does come to furloughs by the fall, I'll be in a grad program at the U of U by then.

-Goose

Last edited:
Hopefully, the part time line thing will work out to avoid furloughs?

Having heard personally,from the mouth of alot of the more "Senior" (legend in their on minds emphasis added) not all btw. Skywest pilots bitching about their "line values being dropped and the need for Skywest to to furlough 400 pilots so they can get mo money." Makes me want to puke.

Good luck to the junior folks at SKW. I don't wish furlough on anybody.

Good luck, gents.

We had "part time" COMA offered at ASA I guess as our part time lines... they only offered 6 of them, I would have thought they'd offer more.

Our F-bomb dropped only a couple of days after they offered the part-time stuff too.

SAPA is working with management to build language for VLA up to 6 months that would include medical benefits and travel. Travel benefits are being closely controlled by our lift partners, United and Delta travel benefits are somewhat "out of our hands".

SkyWest has never fuloughed in 36 years, rez. Please list any ALPO carrier that can claim the same.

Last edited:
Having heard personally,from the mouth of alot of the more "Senior" (legend in their on minds emphasis added) not all btw. Skywest pilots bitching about their "line values being dropped and the need for Skywest to to furlough 400 pilots so they can get mo money." Makes me want to puke.
I wouldn't say "A LOT." There is one suggesting that on the sapa forums but I don't see anyone else supporting his idea

Latest resources

Back