• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any more news on Skywest furloughs?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SAPA is working with management to build language for VLA up to 6 months that would include medical benefits and travel. Travel benefits are being closely controlled by our lift partners, United and Delta travel benefits are somewhat "out of our hands".

SkyWest has never fuloughed in 36 years, rez. Please list any ALPO carrier that can claim the same.

Why do they need language? Do you have a CBA?

I guess I may have ready the SAPA letter wrong; I think there was something in there that said "unless we have a drastic reduction in flying, no furloughs for the forseeable future"

I guess I may have ready the SAPA letter wrong; I think there was something in there that said "unless we have a drastic reduction in flying, no furloughs for the forseeable future"

B I N G O !!!!!

Everything else on this thread is just stirring the pot. The latest Ops update put out by KB clearly said that and that nothing would be considered in 2009 (in case you forgot "Happy New Year" just happened). It is clear that it wouldn't be cost effective to furlough because of the way our staffing is spread between the BRO & Jet, as well as with our domicile distribution. I feel bad for the ASA folks because I think SkyWest has been good for them and it would have been even better if the "No Furlough" tradition had been applied to them as well. You have to admit though that they present an entirely different staffing issue. They are basically one airframe and one domicile making it much more cost effective to furlough.

Having said all that, I think in a year or so if we replace the BRO's with 700's and throw in some domicile consolidation it will be cost effective and make business sense for the company to spend the money on transition training/transfers. Then if no new flying comes our way I would expect them to furlough to "right size" our staffing levels.

In my view, anything else that you hear are rumors started by SAPA and management to make people nervous and work on their plan B. That will encourage people to take the VLA and part-time option and allow Skywest to improve their staffing problem on the cheap!

Why do they need language? Do you have a CBA?

Do you have to have a union or CBA...to have an agreement? I've signed agreements without a union....haven't you?

BH for ASA and RC for SkyWest. JA makes the big picture decisions not operational ones. Like laying off pilots.

I am not suprised that ASA has furloughed while SKW has not. I just see it as ammo to show SKW pilots that having a Union is a bad thing.

Latest resources

Back