Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any minimum taxi speed guidance at your airline?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Of course, it's interesting to see something like 32.5% on-time even on days where major thunderstorms aren't a significant contributing factor..."

Did that actually occur?

Well, the airline I work for does provide guidance. If you taxi too slow your having an illegal job action. Twice before when something was hit the captain has been down graded for 6 months and the f/o given two weeks off. Your options are risk getting accused of having a job action or risk hitting something and getting down graded for 6 months. Taxiing slow enough to be sure sounds like the option that will cost me less.

And yes. 35% does happen on sunny days. The airline is running like 55% on time departures for the month.

Not back in the early nineties (pre-tailhook fallout) when it was Fri afternoon and the O-club was calling.

Maybe that's why I did the minimum time and you got the 20 in:)

GO GATORS!

Never said we followed it.........just said that was the rule.:p

Well, the airline I work for does provide guidance. If you taxi too slow your having an illegal job action.

Definitely not a "work action".

I think it's more like a lack of enthusiasm. . . . a profound lack of enthusiasm.

Last edited:
AirTran management is apparently concerned that some pilots are "taxiing too slowly" as a reaction to the lack of progress at the table.

Does any major airline publish suggested taxi speed guidance in their Flight Ops Manuals? Any input from UAL or AMR guys would be especially welcome.

My personal approach is to pull back on the yoke. If the nosewheel stays on the ground, you're good to go. If the nosewheel raises up off the ground, you may be taxiing too fast.

757 is 10kts turning, 20 kts straight away (up to 30 if a looooong straight away, or trying to draft a SW Jet). Appears SWA is just to remain sub-sonic while on the ground.

The question regards "MINIMUM SPEED"

Guys, the subject of this string is

"Does your airline have a MINIMUM taxi speed. . . .";)

My personal minimum speed is no slower than that necessary to maintain forward motion, unless maintaining forward motion would cause a degradation in the safe operation of the aircraft, then I stop.

My personal maximum, 9kts.

Latest resources

Back