Any Military IPs?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Roddy said:
Another thing to consider is that you've just made the student fly an hour and a half and you want him to fly 3 or 4 approaches for a 2.1?
Somebody has never flown Tweets or Talons. 1.5 in a Tweet certainly didn't include multiple approaches - - it would be more like FL250 cruise and 1 to a full stop. And therein lies the problem for Tweet X-countries. 10 airplanes leaving the same place within 27 minutes of each other, all of them going to one or maybe two places because of the limited range, and all of them needing instrument work. Since they're likely the last 10 launches of the day at the training base, the likelihood of getting the approaches there is low, as well. Face it - - gaggles are a fact of life.

Roddy said:
Tweet guys, who says that any of this has to do with military fields closing. How about doing some of your approaches right after take off and then continue on to your destination?

The major problem Vector4Fun? Not thinking or planning on the "responsible" one's part.
I think you have a miserably poor understanding of the T-37s cross country abilities. Sure we can (and do) delay for approaches, but if you are going any distance its probably better to use your gas to get where you are going first, and then see if you have enough for a second approach, instead of burning 200-300 #s off the bat and possibly putting yourself in a min/emergency fuel situation if you get long vectors, stronger headwinds, or extended time at low altitude.

Also realize that you have no control over other bases jets. And there are not that many places that you can go. Must have 5000 x 75 runway. Must have compatable approaches (No NDB. No "Y" dme channels. No circling at night. Precision visual guidance on Non-prec app at night, etc). Civil fields must have AETC letter of agreement. Must have UHF tower. Civil fields must be on approved list for RONs. Must have DOD fuel contract. The list goes on. Oh, and don't forget about the weather. All of this pretty much funnels everyone to the same places weekend after weekend. Neither thinking nor planning will change physics, the weather, or the AETC Regs.

Thanks to all who replied to my original post. I honestly had no idea that your Mil towers were closing early and weekends. That was one question that had me bugged. (Why us?) And here I thought it was the Co-eds on 6th St. :)

I also don't want anyone to think I don't want to work the military trainers. Heck, it's sometimes a welcome change during the slow periods. Just that Fri eves are seldom slow, and I didn't understand why you all showed up at once! Would help a bunch if y'all could figure a way to stagger the arrival times a bit more... ;)

Latest resources

Back