Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: Re: Re: Re: No Responsibility at all

Hugh Jorgan said:
See, I wasn't kidding. It's not his fault though, that's the culture. My buddy once described the SOF tour as "climbing the stairs to the tower and wearing the noose around my neck for another four hours".

You're so right about that!

As a SOF I declared a couple of emergencies for pilots, and I was only a nav!

talondriver said:
...and you look a heck of a lot like the Duke :D
I get that a lot.

Teahupoo would have been my guess, too. Looks a little thick and clean for Pipe...if there is such a thing.

Back to the original question

One of the reasons the Training Command seems to be utilizing civilian fields more is because more and more DOD fields have adopted the "you're not based here, no practice approaches" attitude. I saw this at many AF fields and some Navy fields.

I remember Oceana telling me "no practice approaches because the field is IFR". Nevermind that no one was flying, they just didn't want us around.:confused:

Catfish

the ORIGINAL POST

Thanks CatfishVT9 for getting us back on track.

The guy wasn't asking about getting jets back at sunrise and all that. He asked about the whole gaggle showing up at his field requesting 8 million approaches.

Planning. That's why you get that. The IP's aren't tasking the students or the IP's aren't taking the lead to figure how many approaches need to be done and how it's best to train the kid. If you have 5 legs to fly or 5 X's to get in a weekend best figure out the number of approaches and not focus on the number of X's. Get the extra approaches at some smaller airport. Use your grape-don't fly 6 to 8 jets into some field at the same time and expect anything other than "abeam, gear, full-stop".

Another thing to consider is that you've just made the student fly an hour and a half and you want him to fly 3 or 4 approaches for a 2.1? If he/she is good then they can probably do it, but they are likely tired by the end of that third leg.

Plan your gas, plan your approaches and plan for your student.

Addition to post

Tweet guys, who says that any of this has to do with military fields closing. How about doing some of your approaches right after take off and then continue on to your destination?

The major problem Vector4Fun? Not thinking or planning on the "responsible" one's part.

Latest resources

Back