Any Job Search Advice?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Delta3

I'm not a pilot but I was wondering if you could give me some job searching tips.

I'm a soon to be Aerospace Engineering graduate who would like to work in SoCal if possible. But I'll take anything I can get in this economy.

I know you pilots have a hard time getting hired in a very competitive industry, and I think I'm in the same boat you guys are, since we're sharing the same aviation downturn.

I've got some contacts, but what are some ways that I can get more?

How can I move my resume to the front of the pack?

Does anyone have any personal stories of job searches?

The Job Search

How to network without kissing butt? It's a fine line. Connections and networking seem to be crucial.

Membership in professional associations is helpful. Attending trade shows/conferences. Subscribing to trade publications. Being involved in the community. Volunteer.

For me the job search is like dating. You have to put yourself out there and circulate. Never rule out a certain person just because they don't seem to fit your profile--they may be able to introduce you to someone.

It's tough. Be patient. Stay focused.

Stay in touch with your alumni association/classmates/professors.

It's hard to get started but once you get that job don't stop networking because you never know what's gonna happen next.

Best of luck.

Job searching

You must have some kind of Aerospace Engineering club or society at your school. Start there.

Then, print up a ton of resumes. Look for sources of job information, such as your college placement office, for openers. And, apply. Apply. Apply some more. Look at the classifieds. Someone with your math, science and engineering background should be valuable in a lot of places.

One immediate thought was to substitute teach. I don't know if the California requirements are strict for substitute teachers, but I know many places don't even require four-year degrees for substitute teaching. Now would be a good time to ferret out those jobs because school is starting.

Pilots try to network, but the key for them generally is persistence. Apply and follow-up. You can always walk into places and leave resumes. Also, have realistic expectations. Maybe your college placement department told you that new engineers can expect to make umpteen thousands of dollars a year as starting salary. Better be prepared to take a little less to get your foot in the door someplace. Once you get in and get some experience, your options improve - just as they do for pilots and flight experience.

Good luck with your job search.

job search

Don't know how the Aerospace engineering field is right now, but if it's anything like the rest of aviation, think of new avenues. Stay in school, if you or your family can afford it, and get a Masters in Environmental -- one field that will always need folks, and pays good $$$. Being almost 15 years out of Civil engineering in college, an ex-Navy pilot, and now a furloughed pilot, I'm sure weighing that option to go back and do whatever it takes to get into Environmental. It's not what I want -- I love flying, but have to pay the bills somehow!!
Best of luck

Latest resources

Back