Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any info on "Project Shoehorn" back in Vietnam?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've got all the TO's for my plane, and I'm not aware of anything other than the MK 1 eyeball as ECM for an O-2. The radio racks in the back had the RT's, inverters, antenna switches and such. The panel only had the control heads for the radios. My plane was at naked fanny in the early 70's. It was disassembled and shipped to MASDAC in March 74 from U Tapao.

No. I think they were done by the late 60's.

Yeah, I believe by 68 or 69 they were gone, but may have done work on the secret side. I have some pictures from around 1970 time frame that show 609th aircraft with no marking in the Asain Camo in revetments.

I've got all the TO's for my plane, and I'm not aware of anything other than the MK 1 eyeball as ECM for an O-2. The radio racks in the back had the RT's, inverters, antenna switches and such. The panel only had the control heads for the radios. My plane was at naked fanny in the early 70's. It was disassembled and shipped to MASDAC in March 74 from U Tapao.
That was one flight 35 years ago so forgive me if my memory isn't 100% on the subject but that's the way I recall it.

ECM was in its infancy back then and almost everything about the gear was classified at the time. When I got out I had to return all classified material under pain of "bad juju" if I didn't. I'm pretty sure all ECM gear was stripped out of surplussed airframes and all written material re. the gear was classified "Confidential" as a minimum and probably "Secret." I very much doubt any classified material would be made available to a civilian purchaser.

I have a complete set of maintenance, illustrated parts, flight and weight and balance manuals witha 1979 revision date. If it was installed on the aircraft, it would be there. The KY-28 information is there, complete with wiring and operations. Same with the ARC-164 Have Quick.

I have a complete set of maintenance, illustrated parts, flight and weight and balance manuals witha 1979 revision date. If it was installed on the aircraft, it would be there. The KY-28 information is there, complete with wiring and operations. Same with the ARC-164 Have Quick.
What can I say?
Falcon 103 and Falcon 269.

Falcon 00!
Thanks.:) No one has said that to me in a long time, except for my primary beneficiary.

Hey!.........Wait a minute!..................Come to think of it, she hasn't said that to me in quite awhile either.:crying:

I aquired a flight crew patch with Project Shoehorn and Cubi Point Phillipines on it. It shows a lightning bolt going through some telephone wires with Doulgas "Doulgas Aircraft Corp" on it as well.

From what I can gather on the net, it deals with epuiping Naval A/C with ECM I believe for SAM or radar disguising for enemy aircraft.

It also refers to the Firebee drones including DC-130's, RB-47's, and RB-57's.

Thanks for any info.
I went through Shoehorn school when I was a VAW-13 Tweet. It involved 'I' level maintenance of ALQ-41 and ALQ-51 DECM equipment. Got a pic of the patch? I never saw one. Many crew members had patches made that weren't official patches; this might be one of those. Loved my time in DET-1 Cubi.
[email protected]

Latest resources

Back