• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any info on 3M company?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When did you two go to scsu? We have 3 172's, 1 arrow, and 2 152's.

Syd-I am not sure which way I want to go anymore. Ever since I was little it was the airlines all the way. I wanted to be the 4th pilot in my family flying for a certain legacy, but a good family friend and a very high up at 3M said once I get the time he can get me an interview. So that sparked some interest and thats why I began asking these questions.

When I was the prez with the Aero Club, we had 9 aircraft... 4 152's, 3 172's and 2 Arrows.... I think it's been reduced a bit since I've graduated...

You were the president????:) Wow, you must be a tremendously intellingent, talented, good looking guy!! And then you went to Championair - another indicator of a tremendously intelligent, talented, good looking guy. :D

When I fit the above description:blush: we had two 172's, 4 152's, and an Arrow III.

Haven't been to STC in years but would love to crash the spring banquet with some fellow alum's sometime and tear it up old school!!!!!!!! This one time at college.........:beer::puke:

Small world!

You were the president????:) Wow, you must be a tremendously intellingent, talented, good looking guy!! And then you went to Championair - another indicator of a tremendously intelligent, talented, good looking guy. :D

When I fit the above description:blush: we had two 172's, 4 152's, and an Arrow III.

Haven't been to STC in years but would love to crash the spring banquet with some fellow alum's sometime and tear it up old school!!!!!!!! This one time at college.........:beer::puke:

Small world!

Well thanks!.... Oh... Umm.. Wait! :smash:

Yeah, I graduated in 2003. But I had heard rumors that the Arrow IV we purchased ended up having quite a bit of MX problems after I left. So off it went... Then I take it there was just a continuing reduction if total hull numbers...

Ya know... If I had the time, I would love to head to the banquet... Some very good... And even better memories from there!

Well thanks!.... Oh... Umm.. Wait! :smash:

Yeah, I graduated in 2003. But I had heard rumors that the Arrow IV we purchased ended up having quite a bit of MX problems after I left. So off it went... Then I take it there was just a continuing reduction if total hull numbers...

Ya know... If I had the time, I would love to head to the banquet... Some very good... And even better memories from there!

Total flight training is down and they couldn't justify so many aircraft. They sold a few planes to be able to afford a 2001 172.

"but a good family friend and a very high up at 3M said once I get the time he can get me an interview"

"a nephew of a senior VP who rides on 3Ms Gulfstreams- but can't even get a callback from the powers that be at 3M."

Why two different stories or their hiring? Which is correct?

"but a good family friend and a very high up at 3M said once I get the time he can get me an interview"

"a nephew of a senior VP who rides on 3Ms Gulfstreams- but can't even get a callback from the powers that be at 3M."

Why two different stories or their hiring? Which is correct?

Corporate aviation is full of urban legends about young pilots who got their big chance at a G-Whiz gig because their dad plays golf with a executive on the weekends. If 3M is 1/100th the company and flight department they appear to be a recommendation from a senior executive to the CP or his boss (usually a senior executive as well) will be treated as ONLY a recommendation. The CP has to look at a candidate who is shoved onto him and keep the greater good in mind. If the candidate being recommended is as qualified as the other 10 folks they are going to contact and would be accepted and respected by the rest of the department than he/she may have a fighting chance. On the other hand, if the candidate is underqualified and is only being contacted because of the connection a saavy CP will find a reason not to interview and/or hire them until they are qualified, which may be many years later.

I went through someting like this right after I graduated from SCSU. A family friend was also a family friend of a chief pilot for a Pt 91 mulit-jet operator in the midwest. She took my resume with all 300 hours of TT on it and gave it to her friend at a social event. This guy made it a point to call me and tell me why he couldn't hire me if he wanted to due to insurance requirements but encouraged me to stay in touch someday when I had the experience. A class act for sure.

Like I said - every 3M pilot I've met looked as though he earned the job through a fat logbook and a winning attitude. QZ - I 'd wait until you are truly qualified for the position (several thousand hours in jets and a few Atlantic crossings to boot) before I played that card because when you play it you don't want to start the process as a burden on the CP. I could make an anology about landing the big buck but I think you get the point.

As far as SCSU; I remember reading about the T-Arrow IV and thinking it was horrible idea. I have some time in T-Arrows and was never impressed. I bet ol' Ron had some choice things to say about the deal. Love that guy :p.

Workin' Stiff you graduated in '03????? I was two years gone before you even started man!! I am getting OLD!!!!!!! My first kid was born in '03 and I was flying jets from the left seat by then!!!!!!

Lastly, isn't there a better place on the internet to be having these conversations?????? Wonder where.........

Last edited:
Mine is fact. His uncle is a Senior VP of something or other and rides on the Gs all the time. He can't get his nephew face-to-face with the Chief Pilot. Maybe it's because he has an airline background, doesn't matter. It's not happening. Maybe someone else can work the magic. Good luck to 'em.

Latest resources

Back