Any ideas about these puzzles?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
JB74 said:
First one is multiples of 9. Second one I am still trying to figure out.

Yeah, that's a piece of the puzzle.

A more complete explanation:

If you do the little arithmetic thingy described there are only 9 possible answers for any 2 digit number. no matter which 2 digit munber you start with, you wind up with 9,18,27,36,45,54,63,72 or 81.

So only 9 out of the 100 numbers will be "stared at". Each time you play the game those numbers all have the same symbol, the next time they are all displayed with a different symbol.

the first time you play, it shows the yin-yang symbol, (for example) because the yin-yang symbol was assigned the the 9 lucky numbers that time. you play again, this time smiley is assigned to all the lucky numbers so the smiley is displayed.

Last edited:
Boeingman said:
In my continued quest for knowledge any of you brains out there know how these work?

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/psytest.php

http://digicc.com/fido/
Just simple ole Math, and a little redirection.

For the first one, try several combinations and see what the number is you come up with.

10 => 10 - 1 = 9
11 => 11 - 2 = 9
12 => 12 - 3 = 9
you see a pattern???

20 => 20 - 2 = 18
21 => 21 - 3 = 18
another pattern?

30 => 30 - 3 = 27
31 => 31 - 4 = 27
yet another pattern...

and a larger pattern... 9, 18, 27, 36....

Take a look at the symbols next to the numbers 9, 18, 27, 36, etc... they're all the same symbol.

all the other numbers (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,10,11,12, etc.), are just the "redirection."

The guy could have said, "Pick any 2 digit number, add the digits, subtract the result from your original number, and the result will always be a multiple of 9." That would have illicited nothing more than a yawn. Do the same thing with a big table of numbers and symbols, make a "Magic Crystal ball" produce the symbol for 9, and it illicits a "Wow, how does he do that?!?!?"

The other link uses similar patterns based on the instructions given. Depending on the numbers you pick and how you rearrange, there's a finite number of "differences." You type in the "remaining digits," and presto - - it's magic.

THe second one.

If you do the subtraction describe, your result will have 4 digits which add up to a multiple of 9. when you type in the other 3 digits, the program adds them up, and subtracts the sum from the next greatest multiple of 9. the differnece is the number you didn't enter.

example:

take 6321 subtract 2163 you get 4158. 4+1+5+8=18

circle 5, enter 4 1 and 8 the program adds them to get 13, you need 5 to get to the next multiple of 9 (18)

Edited for typo , 10 obviously isn't a multiple of 9

Last edited:
Thank you gentleman. Makes a bit more sense. I have to admit I was very perplexed.

Of course trying to solve these after a couple of Martini's does not help.

A Squared said:
THe second one.

If you do the subtraction describe, your result will have 4 digits which add up to a multiple of 9. (10)
or 3 digits or 2 digits or 1 digit.

8654 - 8645 = 9

8654 - 8564 = 90

8654 - 8456 = 198

The program doesn't allow for a single digit result, as circling the only remaining digit leaves none to enter, and it won't move to the next frame unless you enter something.

You might also notice the programmer did less well in English grammar.

It should say "Think clearly"

:)

(I know, it says "Jumble up all the numbers" so perhaps the above examples would not be allowed. However, they SHOULD be since the result is still a multiple of 9.

And I also know, it's probably a play on the product - - 7-UP - - so they get poetic license with the grammar.)

TonyC said:
or 3 digits or 2 digits or 1 digit.

8654 - 8645 = 9

8654 - 8564 = 90

8654 - 8456 = 198

The program doesn't allow for a single digit result, as circling the only remaining digit leaves none to enter, and it won't move to the next frame unless you enter something.

Right, but the difference 8645 - 8645 could equally correctly be represented by 0009 and entering 3 zeros in the box yeilds the answer 9

A Squared said:
Right, but the difference 8645 - 8645 could equally correctly be represented by 0009 and entering 3 zeros in the box yeilds the answer 9
Interesting thought. Although, unconventional, correct.

Entering a single zero or two zeros also yields the answer 9.

The things we do to kill time.... :)

I'd rather be at Humpy's :)

Latest resources

Back