• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any good ideas for side $ (nonflying).

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Airgator, Yeah I'm a friend of his. I figured that had to be you. How many people fly, bartend, and are a substitute teacher? Not many that I have met.

Thanks Airgator for responding,

That is a tough gig, somehow we all need to find a way to help any and all kids that feel left out. I work with a program which gets kids in high shcool their private pilot lic. This kids come from a very tough part of town. Some of them tell me stories that I can not believe. They literally live in a war zone, sometimes sleeping in the cast iron bathtubs for protection from bullets.
You are in a unique position that can make a difference with your avaition background. Bring in some King tapes or some avaition books perhaps some pictures of places you've been too or flown over, pictures of you in the cockpit, thats exciting stuff to someone that has nothing to look forward too. Someone will take an interest, you have alot of offer.

Best regards.........8sm

ugh. man whore?

sleddriver77,

I am not whoring myself to my 135 operator. I can't think of many other 'bosses' that would have given me 10 hrs in a King Air 200 to check-out 135 when I had 1300/10. Not to mention the 5 hrs. dual in the Citation shortly therafter.

This is all with typed individuals crying at the doorstep for a shot. It's rare indeed but that's why I'm willing to scrub bathroom stalls to allow me to continue with them if necessary.

Thanks for the Sub teacher/bartender tips, both may be fun in their own ways.

Hi!

I substitute teach in NE WI. The pay ranges from $95-$107/day. Some days I only have 4.5 hours of work-I have three HS block classes where the teacher tells you to show a certain video, and you sit there and read the paper, and some days I have 7 hours of work with 1st graders who try desperately to suck the energy out of you, after which, I go home to my Kindergartner, and it's almost like work all over again.

In WI you need a 4-yr. degree. In STL, you need 60 hours of college classes after your diploma-the pay is $85. When I left SAV, you needed one (1) college class after your diploma, and the pay varied depending on your education level. In many places you can teach full-time WITHOUT a teaching certification/degree as they are desparate.

Call the local schools/school boards to find out what the requiremnts/pay is in your area. Most places need subs bad.

Cliff

PS-The worst school district I worked in was a small-town, rural N. WI area. The police came in and arrested someone about 2x a week-they arrested a 1st and 2nd grader more than once. My Grade 5 & 6 boys missed classes because they were sometimes in jail, a 10th grade girl was running a prostitution ring with HS and MS girls, etc., etc. We had one teacher come in from Milwaukee Public Schools, and left after 2 weeks, saying it was worse that any school in Milwaukee. The big cities don't have all of the problems.

I made a hundred K/yr sell'in cable door to door in the late 80's and 90's while going to Med school then Chiropractic school. I would check out satillite sales, seems like it would fit your needs.

Airgator, why don't you take that emblem with you to the high school and explain to them why that airline, who flew more passengers then any airline in the world at one time, isn't around anymore. It is a real story, research it out, the kids will understand it because the tatics were very similar to what they have to put up with on the streets.

Well, I don't know what other skills you have, but I play saxophone, and random gigs come up all the time. It's probably the most flexible out there-but not incredibly steady. It makes about 50 bucks an hour though-not bad...

YGBSM!

airgator said:
8sm- perhaps I should elaborate a little on my substitute experiences. I sub at inner city highschools usually LD classes or ESE which means they come to school once or twice a week and don't give a f$&k about anything. In the past month I've had 1 girl threaten to stab me in the throat with a razor blade, have had to call the police on two other seperate occasions, not including a gang fight outside my classroom that ended up sending two teachers to the hospital. Teachers for the classes I teach don't leave lesson plans; the way it works is if no one dies or goes to the hospital it is considered a successful day. So all I have to do is show a movie, let the kids play cards or whatever and keep some kind of order (if possible) and I get my 70 bucks.

Yeah, I saw that movie a few years ago too, but I'm sure Michelle Pfiffer is a lot cuter than you.
You're telling us you're a pilot, but you do this for fun and a little extra money? My BS light just went on.

Ha Ha Ha

Ok, 1st off I don't ever recall saying I subbed for fun. I do it for money. Last month over $600 worth and that ain't too shabby seeing I don't have a flying job right now as things are not too good in the aviation...Enough you understand now bartending and subbing is how I pay the bills. So why go through all the drama for only 2 nights worth of mixing drinks? People ask me that all the time, I'm not offended that you are suggesting I saw a movie and passed the adventure off as my own. There's a couple of reasons; I call a computer and tell them when I want to work. If I wake up and feel like going I do, if I want to sleep more I just go back to sleep. Being a young early-mid twenties male sub is like gold for a secretary. They know what classes they cannot stick women subs in, they're not stupid. Please use a little common sense and imagine in your head what would happen if a woman like Michelle in that movie tried to sub for that class. It doesn't happen, trust me, its like a game to the kids and they want to see which will be the first period to make her cry and she'll run out of class.
I've only been subbing 5 months now, 2-3 times a week. I have more stories than I could ever imagine to tell my bar patrons. I could write 10 Gangsters Paradise's that would put that movie to shame, I don't mean hard core gun in my face stuff, I mean stuff like two students having anal sex in the lab bathroom, and when I tell them "do you know how stupid that is, that's the easiest way to get aids", their only response is, "We didn't have no condom and we dont wanna get her pregnant." I'm telling you I don't have the imagination to make this $hit up. I am very thick skinned, meaning I don't ever let them get to me. When you yell and go nuts and try to demand respect they will eat you alive. Can anyone actually suggest a job that gets even less respect than a high school substitute teacher? (Gulfstream drivers you don't count.) When someone says "yo whiteboy whats our homework?" I just sit there and laugh. It's simply a matter of preference. I would rather not teach than teach. I will sit there and read the USA Today and Wall Street Journal from front to back. Sometimes in the course of a day somehow we'll strike up a conversation and I explain how I'm a pilot trying to get a real job and maybe a kid will show a hint of interest and I'll sit up and start to explain the process of obtaining ratings and then the words "highschool" and "graduate" will come out and they will put their headphones back on like I wasn't just in the middle of a sentence. Honestly though, I would rather it be like this than go into a 5th grade class, "Ok boys and girls, we're gonna learn about the Mayan civilization today." I'll leave that stuff up to the real teachers. I gladly accept the classes no one wants or will take, because there's nothing expected of me. No matter how bad and loud and crazy they get, no one would actually ever come say anything to me other than, "How do you do that? And why?" It's funny when I sit at a techers desk and see my name and phone # scribbled on the corner of their desk calender, I'm known as the guy who will take anything. And then the next day behind the bar everyone wants to know the latest chapter of my substitute teaching saga. The whole point of my original point was suggesting to Badger it is an option. Teaching that is, not what I do. You can choose a 10th grade English class and teach them the difference between a verb and an adverb or whatever, if that's what you want to do, and have great experiences with it. All I was suggesting is that it is as flexible as a side job can get. Then there are MY experiences. Sorry for the long post, but it had to be said, and please nobody write anything along the lines of "Our kids deserve better", that's BS, our teachers deserve better.

Latest resources

Back