• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any former DC-3 freightdogs out there?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
havn't seen a piston CV in the DTW area,except for my old ship 13B a Cv340 ne'C131B now in moth balls at PTK.

i remember watching a green/white 440 rumble,rumble into key west back in'01,it was beautiful !

any LONE STAR CV340 jocks out there?

Capt Jim Garner showed me the technique of pinning the mains on the runway

Looking at your profile, were you of the old-school PI pilots, and if so, is this the same Jim Garner that just retired at US? Either way, you have everything from the rice barge on up- heck of a career.

Capt Jim Garner showed me the technique of pinning the mains on the runway
Yeah, that was the only way to keep the -3 from bouncing back in the air when ya touch down: Not only would the spring action from the struts and the big tires make the aeroplane bounce, but also with the CG behind the main gear, any down momentum would get the tail down, the nose up and ya be flying again...:D

If ya did a really smooth touch-down, the drag from the wheels spinning up would give ya a very slight nose-down attitude and if the F/O was quick at getting the flaps up, no "pin-down" required.
Those landings were rare however.;)

Aye, the DC-3, one of my 3 favorite planes:

They rate about equally on the list:
C-185
DC-3
B-747

Least enjoy list.....?

Never really enjoyed the C-188 B or the C-337, or the C-120, the B-18, or the Monney Mustang, but perhaps I did not have enough time in those machines to really learn them good.

Never flew the Convairs, but would have loved to do. Also the DC-4, the DC-6/7 and other classics are on my list but as the years go by, it will probably never happen.

the DC-7C,and L1649 Starliner are on my dream list.

Would that be a Super Connie...?

no that would be the Starliner, larger squared off wing,no tip tanks,could do the Atlantic westbound with no fuel stops, last of the Connie line, only 43 built, TWA,lufthansa,and Air France, had them in service from '57 onwards, the 707 started arriving in '58.

Piedmont New hire Oct 85

Looking at your profile, were you of the old-school PI pilots, and if so, is this the same Jim Garner that just retired at US? Either way, you have everything from the rice barge on up- heck of a career.

It's the same Jim Garner alright. What a prince of a guy he is. One of the best I ever flew with.

Latest resources

Back