• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any former DC-3 freightdogs out there?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey, CSY, we could start another whole thread on the DC-8! I'm out of computer time, though.

flew a 3 to Bang-kok, via OAK-HNL,-Tarawa-Trukk-Guam- Manila, then up the coast of 'nam and Cambodia. Glorious adventure, tropical storms, the Southern Cross, Fosters Lager,and the grace of God.

flew a 3 to Bang-kok, via OAK-HNL,-Tarawa-Trukk-Guam- Manila, then up the coast of 'nam and Cambodia. Glorious adventure, tropical storms, the Southern Cross, Fosters Lager,and the grace of God.

Wow, how many hours was that....?

Did ya have the long range tanks?

2 weeks, 67 hours, a 600 gallon bladder tank + a 200 gallon aluminum tank lashed together in the cabin, gave us nearly 17 hour endurance. longest leg,HNL -Tarawa, 15.5 hours, had to leave Hnl at night,because Tarawa only had an unlit 5000ft coral strip so we had to arrive in daylight. great flying,great fun !

Well, I'm down near OPF (Opa Locka FL) temporarily and there are 3 different DC3 operators on field. They really are just Recip/Round engine maintenace places but they run cargo back and forth to the islands on a part-time basis.

The CP names are Julio, Ramone, and Tito (Super DC3s). :laugh:

For real, and I have guy trying to get my resume to Tito for some part time flying.

There are a few BE18 operators here as well. One is at HWO and the plane says "Aztec Airways" on it. I heard some bad stuff about the guy though. All the others I see have lost their true BE18 status due to some stupid looking training wheel (unconventional gear) conversion.

I think OPF also has some Convairs running.

Wow, What a trip and what an adventure.

I used to fly a Super 3 [DC-3S, R4D-8, C-117]. That airplane had as a standard installation 600 gallon bladders in each outboard wing panel as well as the front and rear tanks in the centersection. I'm told that the Navy and Marines operated them throughout the Pacific, but I never did.

They are still '18's, even with the "training wheel".
Taught me more about flying than any other type....

Taught me more about flying than any other type....[/quote]

I'm with you there, bro (or sis). The ink was still wet on my temporary instrument rating when they turned me loose single pilot in a Twin Beech in December out of PTK. Good thing they are such a stable instrument platform because what I knew about practical weather flying would have fit in a thimble.

I knew a little about round engines and tailwheels because of cropdusting but the learning curve was pretty steep on the instrument stuff. Good thing I was young, dumb, and bullet-proof.

Taught me more about flying than any other type....

I'm with you there, bro (or sis). The ink was still wet on my temporary instrument rating when they turned me loose single pilot in a Twin Beech in December out of PTK. Good thing they are such a stable instrument platform because what I knew about practical weather flying would have fit in a thimble.

I knew a little about round engines and tailwheels because of cropdusting but the learning curve was pretty steep on the instrument stuff. Good thing I was young, dumb, and bullet-proof.[/quote]

Royal Air-PTK ?

Latest resources

Back