Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

any folks out there ride mountain bikes?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I apologize for getting off topic but can anyone recomend a good road bike? I've been getting into road biking lately (enjoy the speed) and I'm looking for a good deal around a grand. I've been borrowing a Kline Quantum2 from a friend but I can't drop that kind of cash. Any thoughts?

Time, I didn't mean to imply that AL is "cheap", but when I first got into it, most AL bikes were pretty high end, TI was astronomical, and Steel was the way to go. Nowadays even the entry level bikes ("bike shop" bikes, not Walmart bikes) are AL. Still a fine material, especially for it's stiffness in FS applications. All of my bikes (the FSR, the K2 hardtail, my old Zaskar that I can't quite find the heart to get rid of, and even my road bike that doesn't fit me) are all made of AL. I just think I'd prefer steel for a new road bike. Smoothes out all those miles I'd like to spin out (yeah right).

Eagle, I kinda prefer my hardtail too. The FS is good fun, and it would be my choice for an all-day expedition, but most of my rides lately are just an hour or two, and the hardtail is just so much lighter, easier to maintain, and it climbs like a goat (unlike my fat rear). You're right, it is easier to clean it up after a very cold ride than a slushy one, but my local haunts are all pretty muddy from March until June, so it's pretty much gonna get sloppy. I've found that a light coating of cooking spray on the bike's tube helps the cleanup, just don't get it on your rims (or discs if you're that fortunate)

lemond road bikes are great. i highly recommend them for any beginner. as for mt.bikes, you cannot beat Intense. they are tops!

I go to two forums: this one and www.bikeforums.net I always wondered on which one I'd see a post about the other's subject.

I ride an older GT on the trails. I really don't mountain bike much, but I've used it in a few adventure races.

I'm a roadie. I guess I'm old school because I'd rather fly a J-3 cub than a Cirrus and I'd rather ride a steel bike with a Brooks leather saddle than some featherweight ti bike. Steel is a comfortable ride and unless you're racing, the small wieght increase is not enough to matter. You can easily offset the weight by getting lighter wheels, which matter a lot more.

I was riding a Bianchi Veloce for several years, but last summer I decided I wanted to do some touring and I bought a Bianchi Volpe. It's a touring bike with racks and panniers. I've been on a couple of short camping trips with it, but nothing long range yet. I really want to take about 6 weeks off and go coast to coast. I guess I'll have to wait for a furlough (knock on wood!!!).

Anyone else here tour?

Jet, I've never ridden an Intense myself. I've got a K2 hardtail that I like alot, even though the Noleen Air fork is a little weird. The fork is very stiff laterally, but it feels a little primitive in it's action (Mag-21ish), and has a tendency to not hold air for more than a few days. But that bike replaced an older Zaskar that has alot of sentimental value, and was one of those "year-end" blowouts that i just couldn't walk away from (I was't really looking, but you know how that goes), and the Zaskar replaced a chromo GT hardtail from my high school days, so I'm partial to GT (I can't bring myself to get rid of the Zaskar, and it has become a singlespeed beater with road slicks, flat pedals and one of those "comfort seats", great for guests and friends). And while I've never owned a Kona, but I have spent some time on a buddie's Kona a few years back, and I really liked that. Great woods bike, and when the time comes, I'd look at them again.
I've also got a Specialized FSR, which is also a good bike, if not a little maintenance intensive. The rear bushings need replacing frequently, and after I replaced them the first time, the rear end just doesn't feel the same anymore. The bike also feels alot "bigger" when I ride it after spend time on the hardtail, like taller, which takes a little getting used to, but it can hammer through the rough stuff.

Steel is the deal! I've tried to buy an aluminum bike but as soon as I test ride one I change my mind. I'd rather haul around an extra pound in exchange for the smoother ride that steel provides. Now Ti, that's a different animal but I don't have $3K laying around to blow on a bicycle.

I recently sold a 14 year old Bridgestone hardtail/rigid fork MTB that I bought new. It was a great bike but I'm looking to replace it with a singlespeed.

My road bike is a Surly Pacer built up from parts I stripped off a Lemond. The Lemond bike was outstanding but the frame was one size too big. Anybody want to buy a 57cm Buenos Aires frame in perfect shape? It only has about 250 miles on it.

Somebody was asking about decent bikes for about $1000. Now is the time to buy. Go to your local bike shop and ask about any of last years models they still have. Most bikes just change color from one year to the next so you aren't buying anything out of date but you'll save a couple of hundred bucks. For example, 04 Lemond bikes now have a frame with a carbon rear triangle instead of a steel one. The carbon costs more and the components aren't quite as nice to help keep the cost the same as last years bikes. You can buy an '03 model Lemond with better components minus the carbon rear triangle and save a lot of money.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back