Any Fedex News?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Job Security

Job security is not about how many pilots are below you, its how finacially strong your company is. Ask any of the United guys that had 1000 people below them that are now on the street.

Allowing pilots to fly overtime keeps the crew force leaner, keeps the company more profitable, and allows the company to endure small decreases in volume without having to furlough. It also gives the pilot group some leverage. UPS management had a furlough planned until the pilots quit flying overtime. Overtime allowed the UPS pilot group to flex the way they did business to keep people from hitting the streets.

I have never flown overtime since my personal time is way to valuable to me, but I don't have any heartburn with the guys that do.

Just my $.02

EP

USNFX

Only one ex wife, but three kids in college.

MailMan

MD11 School House appears to be running at 110%. By the time I turn 60 all the DC10s will be gone. In any case I expect the retirement age will be well above 60.

Albie

Please don't talk about legalities or ethics. You seem to be happy to use this public forum to drum up business. IMHO it appears to like be selling the answers to the final exam. As an outsider I guess that could be could be considered the way the world works...as an insider hmmmmm :(

Fox,

Dude, I was trying to cool things down, not throw more gas on a fire. You can fly as much as you want--per contract, per company, and per union. I just wish I was off the panel...that's all... I also have some buddies who've been in the pool for over a year, and I feel sorry for the "limbo" lifestyle they have to lead.

As for "selling answers to final exams"...well...I spend 4-5 hours per client doing coaching, etc and I don't think any of them thought they got "sold gouge". The gouge is out there on the net--what I have offered to do (based on some previous professional experience) is offer some strategies and mentoring to help folks do their best on interviews. Its not "free" because although my time isn't worth as much per hour as yours is, its still a lot of time and effort to spend for free when I could be working at FDX or flying in the ANG. I think most of the folks I've recently helped at JetBlue would agree it was worth their time, and if it wasn't then I'm sure they won't recommend me to their friends in the future. However, I'll let the former clients do the drumbeating. And...unlike some in the industry...if folks don't get hired after their interview they get a refund. How much has Kit Darby given back to anyone?

Message boards can be fun, but often banter degenerates into scathing personal attacks and ridiculous stuff. I have always tried to write on these boards as if I was having a conversation with a co-worker, and keep the tone light, professional, and respectful. If I failed along the way and offended you, I'm sorry. The "moral high horse" about not talking FDX issues comes not from me, but from some PMs from some folks who work hard to represent our issues to the company--so without naming names I think you know who might occassionally zing me a message.

Fly safe, take care of those kids, and enjoy your career. Hope I'm not too far behind you on the big iron....

Only one ex wife, but three kids in college.

Fox,

I edited my post accordingly!
;)

I talked to KD this week. Still no word on the next class for the poolies, though she did say they might run a small one ONLY for the internals (the guys coming from corporate and instructors) in September. (Their contract says they get to be in the next available class, and since there isn't one, they will might have one especially for them. That way, they aren't in limbo, and the positions they vacate can be filled.) She said maybe late fall, or early 2004 for the next class after that. She said the pool should be drained in the next 12 months, due to retirements alone (though it sounds like a lot of folks are sticking around to ride in the back.)

Elvis Lives!

The Mad Dog

Latest resources

Back