Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: vacancy?

Goose17 said:
First officers seem to fly slightly less . . . <snip>. . .
Yup. . .

Thanks for the update.

Does anyone know how long guys have hung out in the pool in the past before being called for a class? More importantly, if we're in the pool, we will get called eventually, right?

While I generally suggest keeping such comments off the public boards and on our home pages, I must add "amen" to brother Mailman's comments.

I have missed the MD by "that" much on the last two bids...and seeing the AVA FCIFS is just salt in the wounds.

However...Mailman...expect a PM shortly from someone inside telling you to keep that stuff "in house". Just like our previous jumpseat discussion, there can be legal ramifications if anyone thinks there is "pressure" being applied to not work. Big brothers at both the company and the union aren't oblivious to this board.....

MailMan, nice to hear your concerns. I'm sure all the senior guys/gals would be happy to reduce their earning . I'm sure I can count on you to send me a personal check every month if I accept a reduced pension by cutting my earnings now. You must be an old timer here, probably been here three years, can't understand why your not a Captain yet. It is all the fault of the senior people flying too much, right :D Seems to me it is "F""k you, I want yours.

"the Great Draft Debate"

No question that there are some serious drf/vlt/ava whores out there. I'd love there to be hiring, people below me, and upgrades.

The contract allows for it, there is no job action on going, and of course nobody is on furlough.

The contract also has a provision for an approx 25% BLG cut and no VLT/DRF if anyone is on furlough

The reason Fedex has never furloughed is not because Fred loves the pilot group so much. It's because Draft/VLT allow the company to run lean and flex when they need to.

I would much rather have this system, than the traditional hard BLG system, and ride the furlough rollercoaster.

Who knows, FoxHunter may have 4 kids in college or maybe for x-wives, or some combination there of.

It's kinda hard to judge somebody until you have walked a mile in their shoes.

Last edited:
Fox hunter and Mailman...its exactly this pilot v pilot diatribes on a public forum that can hurt us as we press to 2004 negotiations. My I suggest we agree to disagree, knock off this fight here, and move it to an ALPA or other private board.

For what its worth...I make my extra money at the ANG, not at FDX. However, I am still VERY junior and I can make as much doing one job as the other--so flying fighters and staying home at night generally wins over flying away from home in the sideways seat. If offered 150% for an MD11 FO flight it certainly might be a tougher choice....

As mentioned...there are tons of pros/cons to both sides. I would respectfully suggest BOTH positions are best expressed elsewhere.

Saying "NO" to PBS, however is highly encouraged ;)

Hence the ;) on the post....

I'm on your side bro....not trying to lecture but my inbox gets info from both union and company men sometimes. We can sit and complain (I'm good at it at times...) over some AOC coffee if you want, but all I'm saying is our complaining MIGHT not be best in this forum. You saw how your (not uncommon) thoughts on vol/draft (which I have also posted) got immediately flamed by another FDX pilot. Right now, all of us need to be singing "kum by ya" and working on 2004. I mentioned PBS because I thought it was the one UNIVERSAL thing most FDX pilots don't want--but on second thought maybe some do so I'll keep those thoughts to myself.

Again, bro...I'm on your side. I'm VERY envious of those guys who's timing put them in right seats ASAP, and the MD11 is THE reason I came to FDX vice another operation. I hope we are both in class for that jet soon, and I hope the poolies are right on our heels.

Standard disclaimer...just a fighter pilot and I may be wrong....

AlbieF15 said:

Saying "NO" to PBS, however is highly encouraged ;)

I'm Just curious.......how much does anyone really know about PBS?

I was talking to someone who is very involved in the union, and his position was more of 'this could be a good thing if we are able to put OUR controls on it, and what will the company be willing to give up to get it'

I don't know... I guess the company wants it real bad. Which makes very cautious about it.

Last edited:
S/O Captains

Mailman,
Do "Displaced Captains" really wear their Captain stripes while sittin' sideways? I've never noticed. Plus, I'm all for a "Displaced Captains" coming to the back of the -10 as long as they go to the bottom of the list. Afterall, if the Union is truly against changing the mandatory retirement age from 60, then they should support such an idea.;)

Just got hit with my first "unable to drop---insufficient reserves" message in a while. It might be a fluke, or maybe it means manning is starting to stretchhhhhh just a bit on the panel. I hope its the latter....good luck poolies.

Latest resources

Back