• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any FedEx Interviews out there?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just got some info from a good friend who talked to a chief pilot for me. Said that most of what is written above is true. Stop interviewing for peak season and resume hiring 24 per month in jan. I believe he said October would be the last for classes till then. Most of who they need are in the pool already with some unknown Air Force types still stuck doing the kings business which may open a few more slots. Still a very bright future for after the holidays. Good luck to all.

CGFlyer,
Can you further explain on your comment: "Most of who they need are in the pool already with some unknown Air Force types still stuck doing the kings business which may open a few more slots." Thanks.
Harry

Harry,

There are some AF former stop loss types in the pool waiting for a class. If they get released in time my previous post stands. If they are held till after the holidays that may open a few more slots for interviews before the classes stop this year.

WartHogs rule!

cgflyer

Gee, as I read the profiles I can only ask one question. Is all FDX looks for are the military boys? My guess is 90% of the time. Well, that puts me outside in the cold with no jacket again.

have fun!

yes, I am unhappy......... Wouldn't you?

Let me say this. I am a military guy that is leaving with over 7500 hours if you use the typical 1.2 to 1.3 conversion factor. I've flown the big planes (C-141, B-707, B-727) and some smaller ones (C-130, CA-212). Put my stuff in with Fed Ex in Feb right after the pilot profile page came back on line (the second day as a matter of fact). I have ten (10) friends there who have all put in recommendations for me as well as talked to folks in the recruiting office and up the chain. I still haven't been called for an interview so I figure that's kind of weird. All that being said I'll be very happy when I get my class at ATA. Tough deal to figure out IMHO.

I know of several ex-US Air pilots hired with civilian backgrounds, as well as a handful of regional types (Express one--NWA airlink seems to have a good number). I also know of several corporate pilots that have been hired. I heard someone say we had 13,000 apps on file (6,000 prior to 9/11), so you know its not a matter of qualifications but a matter of sponsorship and contacts. Who would you interview? The answer at FedEx seems to be you interview the guy who's buddy is visiting his/her chief pilot and saying "this is a solid aviator and a great guy/gal.." Just due to large numbers of apps, that may not be enough. However, what you can do to help yourself is follow up! Your sponsors need to write letters (there is a company form on line)--not just allow you to put their employee number on your app.

I've said this before--if you are a major wannabe you need to keep track of your friends and contacts in the industry. While there are exceptional individuals or lucky folks who occassionaly get the call based on quals alone, I imagine MOST of us had someone giving us a push or a pull when we needed it to get the interview.

Keep the faith (and follow up!)

Interview Selection Criteria

Anybody got any idea what the FedEx Chief Pilot looks for in profile forms sent to him by HR for approval for interview? I'm told mine was sent to the chief pilot, along with some more, "two or three weeks ago" and that flt ops will now either call me for an interview or not. Are most of them approved? If approved, who calls us to schedule our interview, Ms. Daniels, somebody else in HR, or does flight ops call?

Is it possible to influence the process now, or should I just leave it alone and hope? I don't want to upset anyone for any reason.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

LittleLearBoy

Simply not true. Of the six I interviewed with, two were military. When the dust settled, three of us civilian types came away with the job. I think LORs are key at this company.

Latest resources

Back