Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any ex or current Weather Mod pilots here?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FreightGuyNTX said:
I flew the High plains project in 99, AMA, Oklahoma in late 99, PWA, Santa Barbara over the winter 99/2000, then Edwards in 2000 out of Hondo TX.

If Snow Back is who I think he is, he helped get me the job with Weather Mod.
Are your initals SM and are/were you flying the san antonio sewer piper in 2001?? :) I think I know who you are, but that night all of us WxMod pilots were on the riverwalk in apr 2001 one is kinda blurry. :)

Yep, that's me, and I had a great time working for WMI. I still say Hans is the best boss I've worked for so far in aviation.

Last edited:
tried it out...

I worked for the SOAR Program (Plains, Texas)...for about a week. Gotta give it to you guys, cause it's definately not what we've been trained to do. I flew base seeding in a Commanche 250 with burn in place flares, flying around, looking for inflow. Craziest $hit I've ever done.

Got back one day and started noticing loose rivets, thought it was time to come home. Just wasn't for me. The people were some of the best to work for though, and I actually felt guilty to leave, but I couldn't convince myself to keep going. Just too **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** violent for my tastes, and I like my rivets well seated.

WMI needs some pilots for some overseas work. Lear-35 , or Cheyenne, or C-90 experience would be great.

Presently WMIs web site is only listing openings for an electrical technician. Are they taking temp assignments for the LR or KA?

414, I am an alumni myself. 4 seasons in Alberta and 1 in North Dakota. What overseas project are we talking about?
Dave

Currently flying a PA-24 250 down in Pecos TX (Trans Pecos Weather Mod) but working through the SOAR program out of Plains TX. I have built up around 200 hrs of flying this season (it was VERY VERY active in West Texas this year) and learned a ton.

Pilot_guy - I understand where you are coming from and I agree that base seeding can get a little crazy at times. I am probably in the same aircraft you were in albeit I think the MX has gotten better. I have accidently flown into some nasty hail, heavy turbulance, saw a funnel cloud, ect ect ect but after the initial few flights I became very comfortable up there and have really enjoyed me job. Although the down time sucks (only flew about 5 hrs one month) I think the flying has made me a much better pilot.

For those of you who have done Weather Mod for multiple seasons - what do you do in the off time or do you find year round projects? How also is the pay for 2nd or 3rd year guys, especially those flying the 340 or a Cheyenne? What kind of flight time are you avg. a year and did you ever find a company or outfit that provide any type of medical or any benefits? Thanks.

Avbug, usually its just year round jobs like mechanic or radar techs that get posted on that website.

Its a contract in Saudi coming up this fall, and I think there will be at least 3 planes there, a Lear 35, C-90 and Cheyenne. I do not know the particulars on it, like start/end dates, # of pilots, schedule and pay.

I flew for them first in 2001 in Hondo TX, pay was 3000 month for C-340 (half of it was paid nontaxable per diem). In India in 2004 with Cheyenne, PIC pay was 4000 mo plus 2600 per diem, and I worked every other day, pretty easy schedule. My pay for Mali Africa right now in the Cheyenne is higher still, but I work every day it seem, sometimes couple flights in a day.
So thats an example, Saudi pay will probably at least that of India, maybe higher.

There arent very many year round pilot opportunities in Weather Mod, although it does happen when they have enough work. I flew about 90 hours with the project in Hondo, about the same in India, but then I got to bring the plane back to Fargo from India too. I have already flown about 75 hours on the project here in Africa, and 25 helping to ferry it here.

414, who is tunning the radar over there? Terry? Hoss?

Its neither one of those two that was here. One guy from Alberta just showed up though, so the other guy can go to Saudi.

Now as for base seeding, I find base seeding a lot easier, and a bit less unnerving at times, than top seeding. With top seeding, you are getting iced up probably, punching into feeders and turrets, getting bounced around pretty good.

One of the guys who posted in this thread earlier is apparently on the way in the not too distant future to do a winter overseas project. Congrats.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back