• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Any Cocal-Cola drivers on here?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dickburns, Nice to see some guys still have a love for flying. The guys that quotes being gone 18 days on trips for big flight departments like Coke, just doesn't have a clue. They've listened to some ancient history that just isn't reality. If you fly the long range aircraft, you're gonna go international. Unless you invented a new globe, that means it usually takes more than a couple hours. Trips range anywhere from day out-and-backs to 10 days (on the extreme end). 14-17 days per month.

If guys want to be home every night, have a schedule that never changes, lost benefits, and no stability, then the airlines need you. If you like flying with a great group of people, work for a company that takes care of you with great benefits, corp is the way to go.

Wrong. I know a few pilots that are away for a couple of weeks at a clip. That is a reality at many places.

As for your second paragraph, the best group of pilots I flew with were at that airlines. Home every night?? LOL. Very few and far between.

PS-were you a little drunk when writing this?? I really hope so, for your sake.

I'm with a lot of guys on this board. I'm flying a Jew Canoe now, and have absolutely no desire whatsoever to fly a G-whiz, Global, Challenger, etc. I'm perfectly happy in my itty bitty little Citation, Westwind, Kingair, etc, makin my good but non 6 figure salary, and watchin my kids grow up. I've got a little suitcase, a laptop back, and a baggage compartment that is a perfect fit for my golf clubs. I'm sitting in Colorado, and will be heading home in about 2 hours. I've spent about 4 nights away from home in the last 2 months. I get to work in my yard, drink beer with my buddies, hit the gym, bang my wife, and sit my fatass in my La-Z-Boy every night. That ain't worth givin up to fly a Gucci in my book.

Of course, the guy I'm flying with dreams of spending time on the road flying the company Challenger. All you buddy. :) It just depends on what you want.

If you fly the long range aircraft, you're gonna go international.

Most are like that, but certainly not all. My friends work for a 91 operator that has a BBJ and a Global Express, they almost never go outside of the domestic USA. Maybe 2 trips a year int'l. Rare, but it happens.

I get to work in my yard, drink beer with my buddies, hit the gym, bang my wife, and sit my fatass in my La-Z-Boy every night. That ain't worth givin up to fly a Gucci in my book.

AMEN!!!

I've done the 8-14 hour leg, long haul crap....it sucks. IMO, you're not a pilot, you're a bored, tired warm body in a seat. It sucks the fun and life right out of flying.

Now, I have a job that'll keep me home about 25 nights a month, its great. And I'll still make almost 150K with just 3-4 days contract flying a month that I know I'll be doing for a couple other 91 operators that are friends of mine, just out and back short day trips. Or not if I choose. So, like you said, you just have to seek out and find the best job that suits you. There is no BEST job for all pilots. And we also have a Gulfstream V, which I'll be getting type-rated on early next year, but only because every pilot with the company gets typed on everything. The GV already has 5 full-time pilots, so I will only fly it when I want to/can from-time-to-time, its always good to have company pilots who can jump in for obvious reasons. And our boss does not use contract pilots, unless its seriously necessary. G650 is in the works too. But I will NEVER ask or accept a full-time upgrade to either of those planes, no way.

Just not for me.

The GV already has 5 full-time pilots, so I will only fly it when I want to/can from-time-to-time

AH, they are sending you to GV school so you can fly it when YOU want to?

That is really a fabulous job!

True.

well......Id say you need to shop the company and coworkers before the aircraft...but YES, combine them all and you might be looking at the better jobs in the industry in terms of QOL, stability (careful!) and money.

Plus, some experience in these planes allows you to walk from those crappy gigs and shop more carefully for the top jobs!

A understaffed (anything under 3-4 IMHO) Gulf/GLEX job with an owner who hops the world can be an awful, horrible gig...

I also find flying all over the world to be "fun" - but its still away from home, and there better be good breaks in between all the "fun" to enjoy what really matters - a decent salary and time at home with family and friends.

;)

Amen brother. Depending on what is important to you (equipment you fly, money, stability, schedule, etc) Equipment/Money can only take you so far, so in my humble opinion quality of life is at the top of the pyramid for me.

Try 2 Pilots, 5 airplanes all G4 and bigger = no time off. Like someone said in the post, careful what you wish for. And what is up with people that upgrade their egos along with their equipment? Sometimes I wish I was back in a light jet.

AH, they are sending you to GV school so you can fly it when YOU want to?

That is really a fabulous job!

Yes. And when the plane gets painted early next year the chief pilot and two of the GV guys are going to Lear school. Most 91 flight departments I've been involved with like to only use their own pilots. When they have more than one make/model everyone is qualified on both planes. Its only two planes, its not like there's 5 different makes.

And I said I will be able to fly the GV when I want to/can. Its not like I can just walk in and tell a pilot he's "off" because I feel like taking a trip. I'll be asked ahead of time if I want to fill in for someone, and I will ask occassionally if I can fill in for someone...when it works out, it works out and I'll get to take some trips. Probably won't be able to until there's a 3rd captain hired for the Lear though.

Yes. And when the plane gets painted early next year the chief pilot and two of the GV guys are going to Lear school. Most 91 flight departments I've been involved with like to only use their own pilots. When they have more than one make/model everyone is qualified on both planes. Its only two planes, its not like there's 5 different makes.

And I said I will be able to fly the GV when I want to/can. Its not like I can just walk in and tell a pilot he's "off" because I feel like taking a trip. I'll be asked ahead of time if I want to fill in for someone, and I will ask occassionally if I can fill in for someone...when it works out, it works out and I'll get to take some trips. Probably won't be able to until there's a 3rd captain hired for the Lear though.

Ahhh, I see.

yes, we have 2 types also - everyone qualified on both, and we do not use contractors, ever.

works out best that way.

So....are there any Coke drivers on here? I am in Atlanta and would also like to know. I guess after 4 pages and no "yes" responses, the question is answered.

Chris

So....are there any Coke drivers on here? I am in Atlanta and would also like to know. I guess after 4 pages and no "yes" responses, the question is answered.

Chris

Sounds like they're too busy to be on a message board...TC

Latest resources

Back