Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Steve

Curtis Malone
noticed that Auburn is looking for a few cfi's. Any current or former cfi's or students around? I am considering sending in my resume with hopes of also getting my MBA while cfi'ing for them. Any input would be appreciated. steve

War Eagle...I'm an auburn student in the Aviation program graduating here in August and work out at the airport (not as a CFI). One of my best friends just in fact interviewed with them last week and they are still looking to hire more guys. All my friends are CFI's out there...in short..i can go more in depth with more specific questions if you have them..but everyone is great to work with, all the CFI's are a tight knit group..Auburn is awesome college town to live at and our Business Dept has a great MBA program. Constant flow of flight school students as well. Ask away if you have any more ? or PM me.

My Auburn experience was not so good. I felt that the people at the airport TP in particular were openly hostile to people that did their training elsewhere. I was told that my "complex" time would not count to rent their 172rg because my time was in a multi engine airplane and their requirements were for 10 hours of single engine complex time. After I got fed up with the bs and finally left, I was told that my career will not go anywhere unless i stay at auburn. so away I went.

All that being said, each experience is different. I just got a really crappy one.

d328pilot said:
My Auburn experience was not so good. I felt that the people at the airport TP in particular were openly hostile to people that did their training elsewhere. I was told that my "complex" time would not count to rent their 172rg because my time was in a multi engine airplane and their requirements were for 10 hours of single engine complex time. After I got fed up with the bs and finally left, I was told that my career will not go anywhere unless i stay at auburn. so away I went.

All that being said, each experience is different. I just got a really crappy one.

TP is not there anymore.

You also need 1000TT and 500 in the be76 to rent it. But you can instruct in it with 5 hours if you were in with TP. Go figure. TP is really gone?

what's it looking like for outsiders?

For most university programs I've heard that if you're a product of the system then fresh CFI no dual given is no problem, but for outsiders the thing is getting ridiculous..circa 200 dual given and CFII just to be taken seriously. Don't know how true that is, anyone willing to shed some light around that apparent double standard?

hindsight2020 said:
what's it looking like for outsiders?

For most university programs I've heard that if you're a product of the system then fresh CFI no dual given is no problem, but for outsiders the thing is getting ridiculous..circa 200 dual given and CFII just to be taken seriously. Don't know how true that is, anyone willing to shed some light around that apparent double standard?

That is what I have found to be the case. 200 dual given is a min if you didnt go through the College's program. Most also want at least a CFII of not MEI. Anyone else with more info on Auburn? Flight dept. and the school overall. How is the MBA program?

Y'all don't find that ridiculous though? And that's not PFT right? riiiiight....

I've been looking into the Auburn postings, as well as every other college CFI gig I've been able to sort through, and that has been the biggest discouragement (albeit the don't specify such quals in their job announcements). It's so ridiculous that at the end of the next academic year I could qualify to apply for an assistant professorship (in theory) position at these same departments, most of which will require me to excercise my CFI credentials on the line, commonly on a part-time basis, yet I can't get the time of day for an entry-level 20K (and less) CFI position?!? (in theory, I haven't applied). Maybe someone spiked my Kool-Aid but I can't figure out that math.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back