Any Alaska Info?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Phone Call

Question from stressed out spouse - sorry if this breaks ettiquite, don't know the rules -

Does Alaska call with both good and bad news? Or does bad news come later in a letter?

Thanks for the help.

Alaska calls

Unless it has changed in the last year, Heidi will call regardless of the news. Good luck! This is truly an outstanding company!

I am hoping to hear from them this week. I was missing a transcript (one class I took at another school) in my original application and it just arrived one week after the interview. I called Heidi and left a message asking her if I should send it in. I figured that if they didn't call me back or that if they didn't want it, that would pretty much answer my question. She called Friday and said they still wanted it. To me that was good news.

From what I've read though and from the people I've talked with internally, AS seems like a real class act. Never once has anyone said anything other than positive about working here. How refreshing.

Based on the comments of other people on this board and elsewhere, it seems that 2 weeks seems to be the timeframe.

See you in class.

Alaska is truly a great company from everything I've heard, but it's a shame that being friends with one of the 1000 or so Alaska pilots is a virtual prerequisite for getting an interview.

How Much Pay Cut?

I was just given an application packet from a freind of mine. Here are a couple of questions. Thanks in advance for any who reply. I am making 60K at my current job. What will I make as a first year reserve guy? (Ballpark) Also, if I live in Anchorage, and do reserve in Seattle, how many days a month can I expect to spend with my wife, dogs, cat, and mosqitoes?

sincerely,
Damion

Hey Damion, are you going to send the app. in even though they still say they're not accepting? I also got an app. and am wondering if I should do something or sit tight 'till they officially open the app. window.

I got my app through a senior pilot at the PANC base, who got it from the base cheif pilot. From what I understand, this is the only way they will take apps, via "Refferal Program". Did you also get an instruction sheet explaining the refferal proscess? PS Ithink this post is riddled with spelling errors. sorry.

ASA info

Alaska is truly a great company from everything I've heard, but it's a shame that being friends with one of the 1000 or so Alaska pilots is a virtual prerequisite for getting an interview.
This is one of the main reasons we are able to have the pilot group we have. Everyone here is practically family and hand picked. You will fly with the same guy more than once in your career so it suits the company best to hire pilots that our pilots know.
What will I make as a first year reserve guy? (Ballpark) Also, if I live in Anchorage, and do reserve in Seattle, how many days a month can I expect to spend with my wife, dogs, cat, and mosqitoes?
A guy hired right now will make $48/hr based on 76 hr reserve, plus per diem. Line holder is guaranteed 85 hrs.
Reserve lines guarantee 11 days off. 3 blocks of two days off, plus a block of 5 days off. If you want to live in ANC, you may as well bid ANC on 1st available bid. You'll probably get it, but you'll be on reserve up there for about 3 years. VERY senior!
Good luck!

av8instyle, I certainly respect Alaska's right to use any recruiting method they choose, but a couple of things come to mind. First, maybe it's easier and cheaper for them (and other carriers like UPS and FedEx) to just have their pilots hand them resumes of qualified pilots, rather then actually employ a recruiting staff to go through the stack of applicants and take the time to evaluate them on their own.
And second, the system (unfairly, imo) eliminates a lot of otherwise well-suited applicants who just don't happen to know an Alaska pilot.

That said, as an Alaska hopefull, I'm willing to work with their system and will do everything possible to make myself stand out, "silverbullet-less" though I might be.

Last edited:
ANC or Bust

The only thing I can add is this...
The ANC base is very senior. Probably 3 or 4 years to get off reserve. The good news is that the quality of life on reserve (if you live in ANC) is excellent. Reserve life in SEA and LAX can leave a little to be desired from time to time.
The rumor (from an ANC union rep) is that there are about 20 pilots "outside" who want to bid into the base but can't because it's locked up. A guy hired this year who wants ANC may end up being stuck in SEA or LAX for a few years. I know a few guys in SEA who have been waiting over a year already...
As to the Silver bullet (or wooden stake) program. It works very well for Alaska, and you know the saying... if it ain't broke...
I think there may be a web based application coming to Alaskaair.com in the future. Rumor has it that it will be FREE. This will be the avenue for pilots who do not have a bullet to get into the system. Right now they are just filling their needs with bullets, and QX pilots - which I think is a great deal since there are 50 "Alaska Air Group (Horizon)" pilots on the street.
Good luck to all.

Latest resources

Back